Flight back in time

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Flight back in time

Post by Flyhound »

I had to ferry a flying friend back to his home field after he dropped off his Cessna for some engine work. While on the ground, I learned that a B-17 was inbound for KCJR, a nearby field. I jumped back in the Maule and hustled up there, but the plane had already landed. Dang! I really wanted some air to air shots of the beast. Once parked next to it, I was surprised that it didn't seem so large after all. \

and a remarkably unimpressive instrument panel.

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Funny. Back in the late 70's the CAF (then the Confederate Air Force) had a big airshow at San Macros, Texas. A little, old, grey haired German woman came wobbling up to the B-17 on display and put her hand on it. She said; "I thought it would be bigger. They used to darken the skies over my home in Dresden during the war. We were so frightened of them." I don't ever want to know what that must have been like...

I was at the Hill, AFB museum a month or so ago and two gentlemen did and said nearly the exact thing talking about the B-17 there. They were kids in WWII and grew up with Allied bombing day and night.

Most stories like that will be lost in the next few years.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!