Was Headed to Detroit Yesterday Morning....

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Well that sucks. Any idea why?

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

gbarrier wrote:Well that sucks. Any idea why?
Nope, it will await me Monday morning at 8am....or whenever!

Actually I have some ideas....but.....thats why I don't gamble.
Last edited by MauleMechanic on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

This happened to me as well ended up the wire rubbed through and was grounding out near the sensor. Scary moment for quite a while.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

FARMAULE wrote:This happened to me as well ended up the wire rubbed through and was grounding out near the sensor. Scary moment for quite a while.
Yeah, notice the cylinder head temp and oil pressure are fine...so far.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mine dropped the right mag during run up the other day. Ran great on the left mag so I Flew it over to the mechanic who never really found a cause but "fixed" the problem while troubleshooting. Said it was ready for pickup. Get there and find it is running rough on both mags, not making full power and cold on #1 cylinder. Turns out they cleaned the injectors in addition to working on the mags... Needless to say, I still don't have an airplane to fly!

Let us know the cause when you find it!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The Oil temp does that when there is a shorted wire,(often back of cig lighter or one of the lighting rheostats). and or when PTT button is pressed or shorted as it spikes a millivoltage through the wireing loom.
The high amps in cruise indicate a short also.
Guessing, coz I wasnt there.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Seaplane Maule

Post by Seaplane Maule »

Had it happen a few years ago after a cowling replacement.....I dont remember if CHT climbed but Oil Temp was high....turned out the lower cowl was built a little weak at the outlet and would collapse at higher airspeeds (noticed some minor cracks in the paint) thereby limiting air flow out of cowling. A reinforcing strip screwed to the bottom of the lip solved the problem.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

The real question is did it climb slowly or just hop over there but there's not a one of us that would have noticed. We all think we would but we all know better too.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

yep it's hard to see those things over the newspaper while drinking that second cup of joe. ;-)
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Mine had same indication only would drop when instrument light rheostadt turned down... Found a bad ground at oil temp gauge....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I often find bad ground when I'm landing. Bad ground! Bad! ;)

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Some of the reply's are entertaining at best. I departed Spence at 6:45 am and began a climb to the north to 3,000ft. The oil temp increased in a normal manner the whole time BUT continued past the normal operating temp. I level-offed at 3,000ft and the temp continued to increase. All other gauges had normal readings indicating that the temp may be abnormal. I elected to make a precautionary landing back at Spence. As I turned back South I made a power descent to which the temp remained just touching the red mark. As I pushed it back into the hanger it "cooled" down indicating halfway in the green. All other gauges reading normal. Using a heat source the old probe indicated 240 deg while the new probe indicated midway or so of the green. A quick test flight will tell us the truth!

:P

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Sounds like you're on it. Good job of monitoring on the climb out. Many if us get way too complacent.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I once had a temp gauge go all the way to the top in a steep climb from takeoff. I had to clear a 12,000' ridge 20 miles from the airport (which was at 5,300'), so I was working it hard. Anyway, about five minutes into the climb, I looked over and saw ithe temp gauge pegged. I pulled the power back to idle and turned around to glide back down to the airport, and saw that the gauge had dropped to near the bottom Playing with the power showed that the temp indication increased immediately with RPM just as if it was a tach (or a pressure gauge; see where this is going)? On the ground, I pulled the temp sensor (bulb-type) out of the oil screen housing, and found that the bulb had broken off the capillary tube. This left the capillary tube open to oil pressure, which would make the temp gauge act as a pressure gauge. Turned out to be a relatively cheap fix, compared to what I feared it could have been at first.