Backcountry Dreaming

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Backcountry Dreaming

Post by Flyhound »

I envy the folks that live out west where the airspace is less complicated than the DC area. They also have some incredible backcountry strips whereas the east coast doesn't really have anything you could really call "backcountry". Still, there are some nice grass strips out this way and some are in pretty settings. Here's my search through part of West Virginia for a quiet spot to set down. The first airport I stopped at is a public grass strip at 1W3. The last strip is the uncharted airpark where I keep my plane. It's fun pretending even if we don't have serious backcountry options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3RBMcvE9OU
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Looks beautiful to me. Nice flying. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

ExAcro

make do

Post by ExAcro »

A lot more R-Pvt circles since I was there...Sky Bryce felt like mountains. They aren't quiet but Shannon EZF has a little grass and maybe a restaurant. HWY can be entertaining on Sunday afternoons with Stearman traffic to and from the Flying Circus. There's an acro contest there 9/6-7 for pure aviation noise. Haven't found that wide spectrum in Ga yet.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Back in my college days I flew to Western Oregon's equivalent to the strips you pictured. There was always some geezers, old and young, that hung out at those strips. To me, those people were the root of the "real" aviation world. I still drop in to small strips just to see who is there, and there is always a common interest with great people. Happy flying!
Let Freedom Prevail