Near disaster!

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Near disaster!

Post by crbnunit »

Well, I had an interesting experience today! Landed at a mountain strip this morning. It is at about 3800' and has a relatively steep, upsloping runway. The landing was uneventful, I taxied to the upper end and spun the plane around in preparation for departure. I am now looking at a fairly steep downslope to an even steeper drop-off at the end. The right side of the strip is uphill but the left is a steepening slope into a stream bed.

The plane is relatively stable but I chock the wheels just to be safe. I give it a tentative push and everything remained where I parked it.

I go off on a short hike, enjoying the above the tree line views and topography with 6000' peaks rising on three sides.

Starting back upslope toward the plane I watch in horror as a tail wind, which has picked up as I walked, supplied enough thrust against the wings to push the plane over the chock rocks! Note to self, Bushwheels require larger rocks...

The plane rolls forward a little, gaining speed, before turning a hard left to an even steeper slope and the stream bed about 50 yards down hill! There was no way it was going to make that trip without significant damage at the worst and a big stuck at best. I'm still about 1/4 mile away and there was squat I could do but watch at this point.

Fortunately, the area on either side of this strip is made up of tussocks (excellent wheel chocks). The plane rolled about 6' and stopped. Still freaked me out! Damn near had a heart attack running that last 200 yards!! :shock:
Last edited by crbnunit on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yikes!!
Where was that; or would you rather not say?

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

:shock: Makes my stomach hurt thinking about it! :shock:
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

God was extra good to you, and your Maule, today.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

East fork of the Friday Creek drainage at Knik.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

wow thats a close shave. I had to learn my lesson the hard way.
i no use grabber tiedowns even if i leave the plane for a few minutes. a lot cheaper than repairs

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

You know, someone had installed cable tiedowns at the turn around point. Probably for just that reason! I had rope. I chose not to use them because I didn't think they would be necessary... Cheap lesson!

JDW

Post by JDW »

crbnunit Thanks for sharing, when I first started flying I would always set one wheel brake with the thought that the plane would just weather vane in any wind if not able to tie down. I have wheel skis in the winter & since have become complacent in setting a brake at all in the summer. Thanks again for the eye opener.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I would suggest do not depend upon the parking brake as well... They can fail, bypass, small leak will bleed down, and otherwise become totally ineffective... Nothing like a good solid tiedown!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Amen to that