Natural Bridge, VA

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Natural Bridge, VA

Post by Flyhound »

I flew down to Natural Bridge in central Virginia to see that formation from the air. I didn't do a lot of research ahead of time because it actually shows up on the sectional. How hard can it be to find it when it shows up on the sectional? It turns out pretty hard. The labeling on the sectional made it appear to be part of a ridgeline and that made sense because there is a fair amount of exposed rock there. Well, it wasn't on the ridge at all, so I never saw it. I did see some great spots along the Blue Ridge Parkway and I was in good company when I stopped for fuel at Front Royal on the way home:

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I've been there on a motorcycle tour about 20 years ago. It would not be easy to spot from the air, expecially as the opening would not be visible from above unless you are at an angle. Also, IIRC, the parking lot to see it was a bit away from the bridge, and not very large. Back when I was there I don't think it was paved either, making it harder to spot as well.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Great pics, BTW. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843