Farm Strip, Maule and Land Rovers

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
taildragger
100+ Posts

My 49 Willy's

Post by taildragger »

I know it is not a Landrover but still a little cool I think.

Scott

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Andy, I envy you. Always wanted one of those. And Taildragger that pickup is really cool.

Guess us Carolina boys have to settle with our Jeeps and a big old diesel pickups.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Not a Rover!

Nude

Not nude

You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Seeing as we are talking about Landrovers, here is the one I use around the property preparing for a bonfire.
Its had a hard life and is running a 6 cylinder Holden engine (GM) but does the job in the mud or the dry.
[/img]Image
Image[/img]

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I put a Chevy 250 straight six in one of mine. Same as Holden I think unless the Holden uses the 230cu"
I upped the diffs from LR 4.7 to RR 3.9 and can cuise happy at 70mph + burning less gas than the 2 1/4 four banger.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Jeremy
For whatever reason your cars seem to always have larger engines than ours. There are quite a few Ford Falcon Futura's imported from the USA over here which have the 260ci V8 they are early to mid 1960's. We had almost the same cars but the largest engine up to 1967 was 170ci, in '67 we got the 289 and our 6 cylinder went to 200ci.
Holden same era, largest engine 1965 was 179ci no V8's in any then '68 we got the 307ci Chev. V8 and 327 and 350 in our HK series and then in 1970 the Holden 308 and Chev 350.
My landrover wouldn't do 70kph let alone 70 mph its not registered, I use it as a good wheelbarrow around the property it has a Holden 186ci in it, blows smoke like a steam train but does a great reliable job.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Once a year we have a bonfire where everyone comes on a Saturday night, family and friends and we light a large fire, cook meat and drink wine and tell stories which seem to depart further from the facts as the night progresses. Half of the experience is collecting the wood. This year I had my daughters boyfriend and my brother in law help collect the wood they are both a lot younger than me.
The tracks show where the landrover ploughed through the mud in the bottom paddock.
The testosterone got the better of these guys who thought a day on the farm was great. Nissan bogged, landrover bogged, tractor bogged by me trying to cross the creek to pull them out.
These are times when memories are made.
[/img]Image
[/img]Image

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Just for reference, my ex mil 109 got the 6 cyl engine update at about 250,000 miles, now 335,000.
Ive owned it for 40 years and driven around the world twice through multiple deserts, mountains, and other people's war zones.
Ive had a number of LR and 3 RR classics. I brought the first RR into the US in 1973 after trip around world.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Great car for it.
I have only been across our deserts, the Simpson in particular still pretty gruelling.
I love trekking, throw out a swag
[/img]Image