The Great South Western Tour Return days 18-19

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Kirk
100+ Posts

The Great South Western Tour Return days 18-19

Post by Kirk »

It was time to head back to TN. We had a lot of weather challenges to deal with since the persistent southerly flow out of the Gulf was churning up some really nasty storms.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=KAEG-KDUX-KGCM-KUCY-KGCY

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

I saw some gaps in the overall picture and knew we had to push as far as we could on the first day. Claremore, OK would be the first overnight stop with a fuel stop in Dumas, TX.

Things worked out perfectly. We could have gotten a few more miles, but I knew KGCM had 3 courtesy cars and would let them out overnight. So we popped in there right at closing time. Paid a $30 charge for the overnight use of the car and had some great BBQ in Claremore.

Rolled everyone out of bed early the next day. If we didn't get out quick we would be touring Claremore for a few days.
Got out of town just in time and steamed along IMC for a few hours to KUCY, Union City, TN

Got rock star parking at the FBO at Union City. What a great FBO! They fueled it for me, despite using the 'self fuel'. Told me to park it up front while we had our snacks, offered a crew car several times.
They had so much rain over the preceding several weeks that all the crop dusters were sitting on the ground. Shot the ILS in and broke out at 500' to find a lot of flooding in the area.

The last leg, KUCY-KGCY, we scooted along just north of the weather which had stalled along the mountains. All cloud and rain off the right wing for the last 2.4 hours of our adventure.

Finally home, base leg to KGCY. What a great adventure it was. Covered 3556 nautical miles and blocked 36.4 hours. 88E performed flawlessly throughout the whole trip.

This was truly the best airplane vacation we've had yet. For days we've just been grinning at each other and saying; "Whoa, was that great!"

Here's the map of the whole route:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=kgcy-3M5-4 ... 120&SU=kts

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your fantastic adventure with us.

Between the great pictures, ForeFlight screen shots, and your route maps, it looks like you and your family now have memories that will last a lifetime.
MXT-7-180A Comet

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed following the threads.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Glad to have the chance to contribute to this thread. I always enjoy the armchair travels as we read on about the adventures of our fellow Maule owners.

Fly safe, fly often.

Kirk

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Good trip, thanks for sharing. Good safe flying, welcome home.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Flew over Mt. Mitchell in the Maule at 8,500 MSL. Clear and cool above the cumulus buildups. Typical summer haze, humidity and turbulence below them. About 19 miles west of where I'm based in Western NC.

Linville Gorge next to Lake James where I live in Western NC. Good hiking. Lots of wildlife. If it weren't for the trees, I could see this from my front porch.

Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy had the same view the day before the accident. I took our friends sight seeing over the gorge and Lake James. I didn't see any one at your airport so we came back home.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Kirk that was a great trip. You need to share that with USA today as a counter piece they did on general aviation . Truly a great trip for all evolved. How does the dog like the flying I have one that would sit by the runway when I was flying , I think he would have jumped in given the word.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Don't know what got into the USA editorial team when they cooked up that hack job on GA.
Sad for them, they will never know the joy and wonder, which comes at risk of aviation.

Kirk