The Great Southwestern Tour day 12

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Kirk
100+ Posts

The Great Southwestern Tour day 12

Post by Kirk »

Left Farmington, NM to go to the flying destination I was looking forward to the most of the whole trip. Gouldings Lodge (UT25) is a lodge with a private paved runway. Fax a permission form to them and you are set.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=KFMN-UT25

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

The Four Corners Monument at the junction of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah. I couldn't resist doing a few pylon turns here and announcing what state we were in to the passengers as we turned. Just one of those road trip opportunities you just can't resisit.

Approaching UT25, the scenery is just plain fantastic. So much to see you just can't decide which way to look.

This shot gives you and idea of the scale of the mesa off the north end of the runway. Obviously a one-way airport.

In the parking area at UT25.

We spent 2 nights at Gouldings Lodge. The food was great, decent rooms with a great view.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

88E looking splendid in monument valley. There are some fantastic strips/landing spots just near there that I could have shown you!
Keep the pics coming, I enjoy seeing my neck of the woods through the eyes of others.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Rez,

You got a great back yard!!!!!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

We drove through there a few years ago. It is a beautiful place. I wish I could have seen it from the air, more from the ground and spent more time there. The view from the highway is great but I know we missed a lot.

We flew into Vegas in February to get away from the Alaskan cold for a while, rented a car, headed to Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef, met some friends at Arches, Canyonlands, Navajo National Mon, Goosnecks State Park near Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and back to Vegas. Put 2000miles on the rental and had an awesome trip! We had several of the national parks all to ourselves in Febuary and it was summer compaired to AK! A great time to be in the desert.

I'd love to go back and fly and/or rent a 4x4 and hit ghost towns.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!