Father's Day Weekend

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Father's Day Weekend

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Well, in addition to being Father's Day, it's Young Squire's 19th birthday. I guess he's out growing "young" now... Maybe that's me. Anyway, Mrs YM and I decided that YS was the closest of our spawn and we would surprise him with a visit. YS is away for the summer in Egegik on Bristol Bay, Commercial Fishing. Egegik is about 450 miles away, fortunately, it's light until about 1 so we have plenty of time to make our way down there if we have to wait on weather.
Leaving Friday afternoon after loading The Peril, we made our way down the west side of Cook Inlet to the entrance of Lake Clark Pass. Truly one of the Wonders of the World. The Pass is about 70 miles long and spits you out over Lake Clark and eventually, Lake Iliamna an inland ocean. We stopped in Iliamna to top off the aux tanks. Two hour run = 17.9 gallons. Not too bad considering we're getting the first taste of "off the road system" Av gas. $7.91/gal. That's getting off really easy in the Bush. Next we dodged cells to Igiugig which is the head waters to the Kvichak River. Home of the largest Red run in the world. It's not uncommon to have as many as 500,000 fish pass the sonar in one day.
By this time it's getting to be about 8pm and after sliding south of Naknek, we picked up the coast and did a little beachcombing along the way. We were about 40 miles north of Egegik when the wind began to build and the ceiling began to get lower. Punctuated by rain cells, we opted to push on and get to our destination. Now keep in mind, young squire has no knowledge of our arrival. The Boss knew and kept to himself. The fish camp is across the river from the village and the only directions I was able to get from the Boss was "north side of the river, red cabins, between a small creek and the old Wards Cove Cannery". Hmm, kinda like saying By old miller's house, not mentioning that Miller hadn't lived there for 50 years... Anyway, the best way to get any attention is to wake them up right? We already had a 400' ceiling and it was gusting 35+ so I made a couple passes along the beach, took my pick of what looked like strips and planted it. We began walking towards the beach when up rumbled an old beach truck driven by YS himself. Guess we found the right village!
After staying with YS for a couple nights and being hosted by a wonderful family, we struck off for home. We followed the beach, stopping and looking at anything that caught our attention and on into Naknek for a top off of fuel ($8.50/gal) A side note, anyone down this way, better to get fuel at Kings Air in Naknek than King Salmon 15 min away, it's $9.65/gal. :shock:
From there, we flew up Naknek Lake, Lake Grovesnor and to Kulik Lake. We found an old mine strip, had lunch and fished a while. From there, we found a pass that led us through the Aleutian Range to the coast by Kodiak Island. We turned our spinner north and enjoyed the coast for the rest of the rest of our 280 miles home. We stopped at a couple beaches to explore and found ourselves arriving home by 9pm in an exceptionally heavy downpour.
A great trip and great visit with our son. An interesting experience watching your spawn become a man. It was a wonderful present for Father's Day.
Lake Clark Pass
Port Alsworth, wonderful people here but you think someone couldn't get along with sharing the strip??
This is why Bug Dope is so important.
Igiugig and the headwaters to the Kvichak. Incredible fishing
Miles and miles of Tundra
Dodging cells
Beachcombing at 11pm and 130mph.
A Village Limo
This is what Fishermen do when they're not fishing.
Nothing but bears and birds in any direction

Kulik Lake, the Grayling didn't stand a chance.
[img]
Live it like its your last day.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Excellent report and Happy Fathers Day!

I hope someday to experience the beauty of Alaska myself.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing! :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843