The Great Southwestern Tour day 1

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Kirk
100+ Posts

The Great Southwestern Tour day 1

Post by Kirk »

Back from a 19 day adventure touring with my wife, daughter and dog on a trip from home in TN throughout the Southwestern USA. It was THE most memorable vacation we have taken yet.

The first day was spent heading west to get us into position for planned stops to see some folks from my wife's side of the family in TX and OK that she hadn't seen in years and I hadn't met.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=KGCY-3M5-KHOT

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

We headed out of Greeneville, TN just ahead of some rain showers, VFR to Moontown, (3M5) for a fuel stop and stretch break.

Stuffing the last few items in before leaving home. Gotta love the back doors of the Maule!

Overhead pattern into Moontown. Always wanted to go there as it sounded like a true GA airport. Nice mix of traffic with RVs, Cubs, etc in the pattern.

Rock star parking right in front of the 'control tower'. Nothing like a turf runway airport to remind you why you got into flying in the first place. Friendly follks, reasonable fuel at a great community airport.

After lunch, rain showers were perking up. I had to file IFR and picked up a clearance climbing out of Moontown. This was my first trip using Foreflight and a Stratus 2 displayed on an Ipad Mini. The system worked great for planning and filing.

Just south of Hot Springs, AR we marveled at the beauty of the hundreds of lakes. KHOT wasn't our first choice of stops, but it worked best for getting into position for the next day.

The FBO was great, very helpful and friendly. Splurged on a room at the Embassy Suites downtown, which is the only hotel that picks up at the airport. The manager's happy hour is a nice perk too, unwinding with bar snacks and something cold to drink.

Downtown Hot Springs was fun. Being a tourist town, it's very walkable and a selection of great restaurants.

TomD
100+ Posts

Moontown

Post by TomD »

Wow Moontown looks downright "major" compared to when I was in there 20 years ago. A "tower" and everything 8)

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Sounds like a GREAT adventure. Keep the stories and pictures flowing!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

We visited a lot of airports on that trip. Moontown and Cleburne, TX were the only 2 that had even close to what used to be a normal level of light GA activity.

Noticed the same thing on our Spring Break trip to FL. Fuel prices etc have gutted GA activity. It's nice to see a few places alive and well.

Kirk

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Looks like an awesome family trip and thank you for sharing!

How did your dog do with the flying?
MXT-7-180A Comet

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

No problem with the dog. She has been flying since she was a pup and just hops right in when it is time to go.

She seems happy as long as she is with her people.

Kirk