Flying the Washington Cascades. Tieton and Packwood

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Flying the Washington Cascades. Tieton and Packwood

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Monte and I took the Maule out to the mountains for fun, fellowship, and fund depletion (gas is expensive...) yesterday after church.

We flew over Yakima into the Cascades and landed at Rimrock Lake by White Pass which is at 4,500 feet. Beautiful place, hairly approach though. We had about a 10 knot tail wind, but accepted it due to landing on a slight uphill, with a clear final over the lake. The other end of the strip is a mountain. We met another pilot there camping with his family.

Doc at the lake. Too cold to swim in but the shallow areas are nice.

Monte with the Maule on the landing strip.

After Rimrock we flew to Packwood, a little deeper into the mountains. Very close to Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier. Unfortunately, I was too busy getting through the mountains to take pics of the mountains. Here is the plane on the grass at Packwood. We had some pizza, Monte had a couple glasses of wine, and we hung around 'town' enjoying the day.

Uneventful ride home, CAVU and tail winds.

Next time I bitch about how much I miss California, remind me how good I have it here in the Pacific Northwest.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Tieton

Post by TomD »

Very nice Bill!

Just for folks' reference flying into Tieton there is a nice "go around" when landing uphill. Go to the right of the mountain (large hill) and there is a nice little valley that is your get out of Jail free card. Aborting to the left can be more risky.

If the winds make uphill landing a poor choice, approach through this valley is pretty easy except for a low level turn into the airport and getting it on the ground soon enough to stop on the downhill.

All in all nice strip.

There be cows on the strip at times. Took me hours to get the cow manure off my wings and horiz. stab last time in.

TD

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Great pictures of a beautiful area.

I have you lined up for a whole body wax this Thursday at 3:00 PM.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

MAU MAU wrote:Great pictures of a beautiful area.

I have you lined up for a whole body wax this Thursday at 3:00 PM.
YIKES! :shock:

That is the hair I used to have on my head.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Re: Tieton

TomD wrote:Very nice Bill!

Just for folks' reference flying into Tieton there is a nice "go around" when landing uphill. Go to the right of the mountain (large hill) and there is a nice little valley that is your get out of Jail free card. Aborting to the left can be more risky.

If the winds make uphill landing a poor choice, approach through this valley is pretty easy except for a low level turn into the airport and getting it on the ground soon enough to stop on the downhill.

All in all nice strip.

There be cows on the strip at times. Took me hours to get the cow manure off my wings and horiz. stab last time in.

TD
Good tip. :D

When on approach all you see ahead is a mountain (OK, large hill, certainly larger than my Maule can outclimb). I would have guessed left for a go-around as that's where the lake is.

So you can approach to the south (towards the lake) by shooting a dogleg final through that go-around notch?

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Tieton

Post by TomD »

Yep.

A guy in an overloaded 172 on a hot day tried the over the lake go around and spun in.

The turn to the right is a shallow turn that puts you in a valley. If you over fly the airport from Yakima direction it becomes apparent. You don't see it on approach.

TD

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That is a beautiful place. Don't bitch! Could be North Texas!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!