Western Chugach - Mt Gilbert

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Excellent Paul!
We'll count on a first hand debriefing tomorrow morning?? Looking forward to seeing you.
Live it like its your last day.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I always think of the Cherokee 6 that went down on the Knik Glacier a few years ago when I'm inthat area (which is a lot!). Nice summer day. Just out for a three hour cruise! No survival gear, summer cloths, swatted out of the sky by a down draft, spent a week + on the glacier while the winds howled, lost a Blackhawk trying to get them out...

The mountains here can be pretty unforgiving no matter what season! Might be time to dust off the SPOT list!

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/a ... ik-glacier
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chetharris
100+ Posts

Great photos

Post by chetharris »

Paul,

That is a great trip report. I think you should post it over at the backcountry sight as well. The trade show got very little of my money. We missed you at the Maule breakfast.

We will certainly miss you in Valdez. It is going to be a smaller encampment this year. Kurt will probably only get a day trip out of it. Jeremy is getting his grog and hot tubbing done in other corners of the world. At this time only Ryan and I are confirmed.

Chet

highroad

Post by highroad »

Paul,
Epic TR! I dream of doing things like this up in AK someday. Did you guys get much snow in that storm and how much snow are you comfortable with the maule holding before you start sweeping the wings etc?

I had a little adventure last September in Idaho where we got pinned down at altitude in a snow storm and I was pretty nervous about snow accumulation on the Maule. Got up every few hours to sweep the wings etc. through the nights.

Also, how did the skis fit with the back seat in? Do you have extended baggage in your M6?

Brent

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Not a lot of new snow...3-4" maybe...and the wind kept the wings pretty well blown off. Got me thinking though that a push broom should be part of the kit because in other conditions (i.e. heavy wet snow) it could be very difficult to keep the wings clear. Snow can be pretty light or it can weigh a lot! More than about six inches of wet snow on the wings would have me a little nervous. No extended baggage (yet). Tails of the skis between the seats. Not ideal but doable. Bring that bad ride of yours on up to AK anytime and go play.

Chet...you guys have fun this weekend in Valdez. Looking forward to seeing you and Ryan on top of the Lt Touring Class results. Wish I could be there but...alas...my year to work. :(
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

We may drive to Valdes (long story) so if anyone has extra gear they would like transported, we will probably have room.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chita

Post by chita »

How thrilling! Freeride, mountains, plane. It is an illness! I too have these three diseases!