Talkeetna Mountains

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Talkeetna Mountains

Post by crbnunit »

Well, technically it was yesterday but I did fly today as well!

My original thought was to fly up the Matinuska River valley to the Chickaloon River and follow that to the headwaters, through the pass and on to the Susitna River drainage and back around via Talkeetna.

Started up the Matinuska valley and was getting the snot beat out of me. 120mph indicated with a ground speed of about 70. I got just about to the turn and decided to save it for a better day.

Turned around and headed up Hatcher's pass instead. Smooth as glass. Up Archangel to Reed Lakes and over the pass to Bomber Glacier. Just a little aluminum showing out of the snow.

(Not my photo)

So I screw around here for a bit and realize I am still within easy striking distance of my original goal and fly over the peaks to get to the Chickaloon River drainage.

And into the Chickaloon drainage,

Looks like there are some pretty good landing possibilities here. I need to investigate again in the summer!

The headwaters of the Chickaloon and the pass.

Finally figured out how to use the Microsoft Snipping Tool!

You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

So beautiful but unforgiving territory! You Alaskans have cajones! 8)
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I tried to set the plane on fire today. I was taking off of a gravel bar on the Knik today when I smelled something electrical burning. No way to abort the takeoff with the room I had left so I flipped off the master and landed back on the strip post haste! It looks like the power supply for the strobes melted down! Scared the crap out of me!!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

:shock:

Beautifully managed. 8)
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Great pictures of beautiful Alaska!

Thanks for posting and keep them coming!
MXT-7-180A Comet

Seaplane Maule

Electrical Fire

Post by Seaplane Maule »

I tried to set the plane on fire today. I was taking off of a gravel bar on the Knik today when I smelled something electrical burning. No way to abort the takeoff with the room I had left so I flipped off the master and landed back on the strip post haste! It looks like the power supply for the strobes melted down! Scared the crap out of me!!!

Was it a Whelan unit? Any possibity of fire or was it contained in the box? Please let us know what you found. Thanks!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I haven't had time to go back out and properly diagnose the problem. All I know for sure is the strobes no longer work and the smell did not return with the strobe switch in the off position. Everything else works fine. So it is likely either the power supply or the wiring for that circuit under the panel. I'll definitely pass along findings with photos if interesting or scary!

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

There are a couple good strips in the Chickaloon drainage, the raft guys use them to put tours in and float back to the Mat. Up past the pass and into the Talkeetna there are two good size strips near Yellowjacket creek. Also, if you go over to the northeast across Glass creek pass, there are several old mining strips as you go down Caribou creek.
I haven't been into all of those, but I walked most of them doing a wilderness trek from Eureka to Talkeetna.
Dave
1995 M-7-235B

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Eureka to Talkeetna! That is quite the walk! Thanks for the beta. I'll be spending some time up that way this summer!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

OK, so finally got back out to diagnose the burnt smell in the plane. It was as I suspected, the power supply for the strobes melted down.

Looks like a transistor went full on Chernobyl. This thing stinks like only burnt electronics can. It is literally making my eyes water sitting on the desk whit the cover reinstalled! Scared the living snot out of me! Going down in flames is not one of my most cherished aspirations!

Now I need to find out why this happened instead of popping a breaker.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Yikes! Yet another argument for LEDs.

Where were/are your power supplies located? When I still had the Grimes, they were mounted all the way outboard in the fiberglass wing tip.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mine is under the left seat! It is a single unit powering three strobes.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Sounds like it almost powered a 4th!!! :shock:
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Those high voltage strobe power supplies in the wing tips worry me, too. They can arc and burn without ever tripping a breaker due to the voltage involved. I'd like to replace all of the exterior lights on my Maule with LED lights. I did that a while ago with the landing light and haven't ever regretted it. Glad everything worked out ok for you.
Andy
1986 MX7-180