Sun n fun in the morning

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
captnkirk
100+ Posts

Sun n fun in the morning

Post by captnkirk »

Well my son and I are getting our bags packed, cooler filled ,sleeping bags grills, tents, chairs, flight plans loaded into the Garmin, checked the weather. In the morning will load it all into the plane and hope to airborne by 9. We plan on spending the whole week and based on the forecasts should have good weather for it. They are calling for a chance of showers Sunday but we'll have to see how that unfolds. It may change our departure plans by a day either way. If we have good wifi should be able to post some pictures. Hope to meet a few fellow maulers down there will keep the posts coming as I can.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Bon Voyage.

Went for about ten years in a row but has been about that long since I've been.

Be careful in the pattern, or should I say in the swarm.

Perhaps next year.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I used to go all the time.. but like Gbarrier said, havent been in a long time. Maybe one day again.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

With the exception of picking up an airplane while working, I have not been in 20 years

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Best of luck Kirk and take LOTS of pictures.

It should be a great time for you and your son.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Kirk: I'm headed that way too, but I'm stopping off in Moultrie for my annual first. I had hoped to depart northern Virginia today but more snow, very low ceilings and 28 knot wind gusts ensured I stayed on the ground. I am all packed, so hope to get to Moultrie by mid afternoon. The mechanics there will determine how soon I can make it to Lakeland. I have my fingers crossed for no major squawks and a clean bill of health for the plane so hope to see you and others there toward the end of the week.

Gary
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Showed in Brunswick GA to kick the tires on the jet in time to see a Canadian registered Maule taxing out and head south. Guessing he was on the way down to Sun N Fun. Made me wish I was on the way too.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Flyhound wrote:Kirk: I'm headed that way too, but I'm stopping off in Moultrie for my annual first. I had hoped to depart northern Virginia today but more snow, very low ceilings and 28 knot wind gusts ensured I stayed on the ground. I am all packed, so hope to get to Moultrie by mid afternoon. The mechanics there will determine how soon I can make it to Lakeland. I have my fingers crossed for no major squawks and a clean bill of health for the plane so hope to see you and others there toward the end of the week.

Gary
I gave Gary a tour of the Okeefinokee Swamp......not sure where he is now but I am the new owner of N526K 8)

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

MauleMechanic wrote:I gave Gary a tour of the Okeefinokee Swamp......not sure where he is now but I am the new owner of N526K 8)
Hmm, doesn't sound very good....for someone!

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

pilot wrote:
MauleMechanic wrote:I gave Gary a tour of the Okeefinokee Swamp......not sure where he is now but I am the new owner of N526K 8)
Hmm, doesn't sound very good....for someone!
Gary left Moultrie Wed. and I have not herd from him....Lendsy left in the M4 Thursday and hope she is safe somewhere in Mississippi out of that storm :-(

Kind of quiet around Maule Flight today

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Sun-N-Fun is a great place for looking at airplanes, but it isn't a great place to be camping pilot. My cell phone and my tablet ran out of juice and it took me 3 days to find a charginf station. By, then the weather was turning and I decided to try and get north of the cold front that was coming in. I made it to Allendale, SC before gas was running low. I landed short at justafter 10:00 PM, and that was a good thing because a bunch of deer ran across the runway just before I turned onto the taxiway. Whew!

Not only did my plane run great, but the big spread in exhaust gas temps disappeared, there is no more oil on the belly and my door latches work right for the first time since I bouvght this airplane. A visit to Maule Flight for my annual was actually better than Sun-N-Fun in many ways. Although I was parked 3 planes away from a 2002 MX7-235-C at Lakeland. It is owned by a guy that lives near Moultrie. We had a good time sharing stories about our planes and plans. I also met another back country pilot from Boulder, CO and had some fun swapping tales with him. It's the people that make flying worthwhile, and this trip was filled with some of the best folks I could ever hope to meet.

Thanks again to Brian and Randy for a great annual!
Last edited by Flyhound on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

How'd you get it to stop depositing oil on the belly? Put less in the engine? Some other trick?

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Brian found the leak coming from my oil pressure transducer and fixed it. No other leaks have started, although I'm sure that's just a matter of time...

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Flyhound wrote:Brian found the leak coming from my oil pressure transducer and fixed it. No other leaks have started, although I'm sure that's just a matter of time...
Always wondered what that thinggy was called

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

On my way home we left Sunday morning the WiFi down there was expensive so I'll post some photos in the next day or two. Met a couple of other Maule pilots in Lakeland ,but I'm afraid there where more there I didn't get a chance to see. We have to set up some time for get together next year. Anyway my son and I have stopped in SSI due to weather. I'm still not ready o fly ifr in the plane we possibly could have made past the weather but I need some practice approaches under my belt first For those with Franklin engines there was talk of cranks and cylinders being forged so hope continues. I did get to speak with Susan Brent and Ray Maule nice people. Maybe where I go for my annual also. I want to do some things to the panel and they maybe a good place to do it.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money