Sun n fun in the morning

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

SSI is a nice place to stop. Some years ago there were many airplanes stopped there coming and going. Not so many now. Guess someone beat their fuel prices.

While there you must make it down to Barbra Jeans for some crab cakes. We spent Wed and Thur nights at SSI this week on a trip. Had forgotten how good they were. She crab soup is awfully fine there also.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I missed CaptnKirk, but I met several other Maule Owners parked in the general aircraft camping area on the west end of the field at SNF. I paid to camp through Friday night, but left Friday afternoon before a cold front that was supposed to cover southern Georgia on Saturday. I made it as far as Allendale, SC but didn't arrive there until 10:30 PM. so I pulled my tent out and camped there as well. Here are some still shots. A movie clip may be coming.

I had a bodacious tailwind headed to Maule Flight - my 430 is showing 147 kts groundspeed. 40 of that is tailwind!

Here is KMUL from the air. Maule Flight and Maule Air are marked on the image.

From KMUL to Sun-N-Fun required flying over some pretty inhospitable swamps!

Arrival at SNF was easier than expected. There was only 1 other plane in the pattern when I arrived at 2:00 PM on Wednesday. I spent almost as much time on the taxiway as in the air to get to my camping spot, but it was worth it. I was right next to the runway on the approach end of 9R - rather where all the show planes came in! Here is an F22 coming in over my wingtip!

And here is the 1st of 6 Blue Angels coming in over my head:

There were some great LSA STOL aircraft like the Super STOL and Rans S20

And Glassair had their newest Sportsman on display with big tires:

There was a lot to see, I spent too much money on goodies for the plane, and I ate some reaaly bad (health-wise) food. I met some fabulous people, heard some great stories and everyone told me how much they liked Maules. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. [/img]

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Gary that's awesome. I really would like to go one year here soon. Looks like you had a great trip. I sure do miss flying the Maule. The T6 is fun in its own way but they won't let me land on any grass.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Trebor: The trip was great, but the winds were blowing 19 with gusts to 27 coming from 330 degrees when I got home. It was REALLY bumpy coming across th Blue Ridge Parkway! The wind was 60 degrees crossed to Cedar Meadows and the vortexes over the trees there made me chicken out and land at KOKV for the night. The plane is back in the hangar at CM now, and is ready to join you for a flight as soon as you get back from your military training. Sun-N-Fun was great because of the mix of military and civilian hardware on display and performing. I used to fly acro in an older PITTS S2A, but I saw things being done with piston airplanes that I didn't think were possible. The skill level of the pilots and the hardware capabilities just leaves my mouth hanging open!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Great pictures Flyhound!

You were smart abandoning the mechanical crosswind situation.
MXT-7-180A Comet

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I slipped into the vintage camping area those round tails have some advantages after all. Speak of eating bad food both my son and I had a bout of upset stomachs but I think it was from the water. We filled up some water bottles at the shower house which we won't do again. I spent some time at the Maule and Franklin tents. But we hit quite a few of the forums. Looking at all the planes just helped to reaffirm my choice on aircraft ,I have what fits with what I want to do. We are still sitting in SSI, it as easy as trying to make a few more miles and stopping some where else.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Here is a link to the composite movie I made of my SNF adventure. I'd like to connect with more back country pilots the next time I go that far. Perhaps a side trip before, or after SNF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToTw9v2miII

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

That was an AWESOME video Flyhound!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together and I think I am going to borrow your Rubber Chicken idea.
MXT-7-180A Comet

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Getting out of SSI today Kirk?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Back home weather broke this morning some low ceiling till we got to Alma then turned northward around some restricted airspace. Good to back in my own bed. I've got a few pictures to get posted most of the videos didn't look to good still learning how to use that gopro. I really wanted to capture the night air show. Battery life is not to great and the lack of power was a problem.
Kirk Johnson

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

some photos
first light and the engines are cranking up already
first balloon to launch
the campsite
a friends pride and joy
round motors every where
not sure if some of these airplanes really fly not a bug or drop of oil anywhere
Kirk Johnson

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Kirk Johnson