Canarvon Gorge

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Ozy

Canarvon Gorge

Post by Ozy »

Recently flew to an ancient gorge in central Queensland aprox 3.5 hrs flying time. Our home strip is around an hours drive from home, on my bike about 45 minutes, keeping a sharp eye out for any highway police.
Image[/img]
Here's the little lady a bit nervous about flying to the middle of no where with her old man who forgets where he put his wallet / car keys / child but thats another story.
Flying North West at 6,500', climbing over the Great Dividing Range that runs nearly the full length of the East Coast of Australia. The mountain in the distance is called Mt Lindsey and is part of an extinct volcanic region that formed the topography where we live.
Fuel and lunch at Roma, a town now at the centre of gas mining projects. Had to get into a queue to land here, surprising because it is fairly remote and 10 years ago was a dirt strip. Behind me is a King Air from the Royal Flying Doctor Service, looking after remote stations that are impossible to transport patients from in cars.
Part of the sandstone Gorge at Canarvon.
Gets so hot toads fry mid thought.
Aboriginal art circa 3000 BC. The George was used for ceremonies, such as funerals and initiations, this rock art is about halfway up the Gorge.
Cooling my feet after a 12 kilometre walk. The water was crystal clear and freezing, the feet were numb after a couple of minutes, now to walk the 12k back to camp.
Heading back to the Queensland coast, this area is called the Glasshouse Mountains. Apparently they reminded someone on Captains Cooks ship(The Endeavour) of the glass kilns back in England in the 1770s.
To get around Brisbane International Airport you have to head out to sea and fly down the west coast of Morton and Stradbroke Islands.
Shipwrecks off Stradbroke Island, from here we headed south to our home strip around 40 minutes flying time. Got her home safe and sound
without losing anything.Image
M5 235
Old age is a privilege not a right

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

That must be hot. Even the lizards dry up!
Ta for the trip report.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Great photos John. Really captures the essence of Australia...I must get down there one day. Oh yeah, I already am. I must get a Maule so I can join you.:)

Mate, like the missus. I reckon you got the better deal. ;)

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Great pics thanks for sharing!
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Beautiful! Why so many shipwrecks in one spot?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Ozy

Post by Ozy »

Don't really know, it is near a channel and on the lee side of the island when cyclones hit the area. They may have been moored all together and wrecked during a vey bad cyclone in 1974.

Truth get that Maule asap.
M5 235
Old age is a privilege not a right

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

crbnunit wrote:Beautiful! Why so many shipwrecks in one spot?
I didn't know either so looked it up.

http://www.visitmoretonisland.com/sight ... oomawrecks

Tangalooma Wrecks

Who doesn't love shipwrecks? The rusting bones of old ship hulls waiting to be explored and admired with a sense of mystery, imaging what happened to them.

One of the most famous wrecks on Moreton Island is the Tangalooma Wrecks. Fifteen vessels that were deliberately sunk to form a breakwall for small boats also creating an amazing wreck dive and snorkel site. Snorkelling and scuba diving at this site is an incredible adventure. The crystal clear waters provide fantastic visibility to view marine life and coral formations such as wobbegongs, trevally, kingfish yellowtail and an array of tropical fish.

The Tangalooma wrecks came about in 1963 as a result of lobbying by recreational boat owners for a safe anchorage. The wrecks consists of a line of old Harbours and Marine Department steam driven dredges and barges on the edge of a sandbank that were deliberately sunk with the Maryborough being the first vessel.

The Wrecks are not far off the beach so it is possible to swim out to them if you are wanting to explore, but be aware of the current that sweeps between the wrecks and the beach

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Nice Country. Thanks for the pictures.