Baja trip report now up

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Baja trip report now up

Post by Rezrider »

It was my wife's birthday so we went to Baja! We haggled for some days off, loaded up the plane and off we went.

Our route took us just past these sand storms in southern Arizona. We were just above the dust layer.

After landing in Guaymas, to clear customs and get fuel, we headed out over the sea of Cortez. 70 miles of water but only 40 minutes flying time.

Next stop was Mulege, you can see the strip just this side of the river. A sleepy little place with not much tourism. One of the few places in Baja with a river running out to the coast.

A few days later we ran up the coast a few miles to check out a beach at Punta Chivato.

We wanted to go whale watching so fired it up the next day and crossed the mountains in the middle of the peninsular, some as high as 5000 ft. It was bumpy too but a beautiful flight.

Before we landed at the lagoon, we checked out this trip at Campo Rene'. You can see the strip along side the beach just near the settlement. We taxied through the gate and shut down for a walk along the beach.

It was time to go whale watching in Laguna San Ignacio so we popped across the bay and caught sight of these sand dunes along the way. Spectacular!

Here is the strip at the laguna.

Into a boat and 10 minutes later, whales! They were everywhere.

Unfortunately, time was running out so we headed back to Mulege to digest our day's adventure.
Two days later we headed down to Loreto to clear out and get fuel. On the way down we went past this sweet protected bay with some sail boats anchored there. Sailing is high up on my list for future things to learn and do.

Loreto to Tucson was 3 hours and we had about 8 knots on the nose.
Everything went smoothly. People were friendly. The paperwork bureaucracy went without a hitch.
There is so much to explore in Baja and we barely scratched the surface. There are strips all over the place and the Maule just ate 'em up!
We are going back for sure. Perhaps this fall.
Last edited by Rezrider on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Looking forward to it.
Years ago I flew a camera man with doors off the whole Baja peninsula coast.
Down the Sea of Cortez and up the Pacific coast (doors off on right)
He was writing a yaughting book series and I had to set him up for pictures of every bay and promontory. Took over two weeks.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Looking forward to the trip report with LOTS of pictures!
MXT-7-180A Comet

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

maules.com wrote:Looking forward to it.
Years ago I flew a camera man with doors off the whole Baja peninsula coast.
Down the Sea of Cortez and up the Pacific coast (doors off on right)
He was writing a yaughting book series and I had to set him up for pictures of every bay and promontory. Took over two weeks.
You and I still need to sit down and trade Land Rover stories mate. :)
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Too true. Still using my '64 S11 ex army 109. Been around the world in it plus some.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

See the report above. The pictures ended up a bit big!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners