The Sargent and Harding Icefields

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

The Sargent and Harding Icefields

Post by crbnunit »

The weather has been pretty miserable here for much of the winter and I was unable to fly much. Between rain, snow, wind, low ceilings, work and life in general, it has been a slow few months! When a beautiful day presents its self, we must go flying!

So, South/southwest out of Anchorage are the Sergeant Icefield, Kenai Fjords National Park and the Harding Icefield.

Flying up Turnagin Arm to Spencer Glacier.

Looking Northeast towards Prince William Sound.

Approaching the Sergeant Icefield.

Blackstone Glacier and Blackstone Bay.

Kenai Fjords National Park. There are some great beaches to land on.

The town of Seward, Alaska.

The Harding Icefield.

These things are called Nunataks. Mountain peaks sticking out of the ice. This ice is estimated to be about 1000' thick!

This is one BIG, flat sheet of ice. Wish I was on skis!

The Tustumina Glacier.

Lake Tustumina. This is a huge lake! Lake Iliamna makes it look like a puddle.

Mt. Redoubt. Smoking away. There are several active volcanoes near Anchorage. Mt. Spur, Redoubt, Augustine and Illiamna.

It was a good day and about 2.5hrs flying.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Nice shots Jeff!! I didn't even pull my Maule off floats yet this year. We're still waiting for it to warm up a little more, been getting down to -35F at night and about -10F in daytime, but days are getting longer, sun is radiating that heat, and won't be long for some nice flying WX.... Been kind of weird winter WX wise up here this year. Really hasn't been much colder then down there in the ANC tropics!! :roll:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Absolutely stunning pictures!

I have to get to Alaska and see this beauty with my own eyes.

Makes our New Hampshire mountains look like a mole hills.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share.
MXT-7-180A Comet

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

No doubt. We have very little snow here. The Kenai has even less. Knik is completely open and all of the backcountry strips are landable on wheels. It never melts off back around Lake George but it is clear this year. Lake Tustumina, Skilak and Kenai are all open. No ice whatsoever. This has been a odd year indeed!

I was picking up mail yesterday and one of my neighbors commented (since it is finally getting cold again... -6 this AM), "Man! It feels like I'm in the lower 48!" Making fun of how cold it has been down there and how warm it has been here!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

You guy don't laugh too hard but we are about to get a major storm here in NC 8 to 10 inches of snow and maybe some ice on top. My son and I moved fire wood up to the house filled the genny with gas bought the last loaf of bread at the local store. With any luck it will be our big storm of the season. All the while I'm looking for a chance to pick up my plane and get home, between work and weather it ain't happening.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

You Alaskans take pics that make much of the Lower 48 seem mundane. I love your pics and share them with my nurse and staff. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Awesome photo's ! Beautiful countryside. It's finally warmed up in Texas (61 today) and the forecast is more of the same / sunny the entire weekend. I'm flying all weekend !
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

That scenery must overwhelm the senses. I hope I might get to see it one day. Thanks for posting.

chita

Post by chita »

Nice photos!