Pirep

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Nice colour-scheme on your plane Brenton. Damn ... I think all the avatar picks look good.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Thanks mate!

Until yesterday it was spiffy and clean too. I seem to have a bit of an oil leak.

The previous owner had it recovered a few years ago, as well as refurbishing the interior and majoring the engine.

I basically got a . . . Not exactly new plane for . . . Less than tje cost of a new plane.

;-)

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

I'm thrilled that you are enjoying the plane so much Brenton .I loved that plane for 19 years and always felt excited to go anywhere in it at any time .
If you are still planning to come back to the west coast for some training on landing on the beaches of Vancouver Island I'd be happy to do that with you .
You will never realize just how much fun you can have until you start landing on a beach or gravel bar that you pick out your- self and feel the challenge nailing it .Or flying over a river that you have never fished and determining if that gravel bar is landable then going down and doing it .
Stay safe but always challenge your-self .

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Passion-- machine--- could bring a whole new meaning to the mile high club :oops:
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hi Ward,

It's great to see you on here! I didn't know you were a member. Funny -- I was gonna send you an email the other day, but never got to it.

As I was kinda raving above, the plane is just fantastic, but you know every inch to which that's true, inside and out! Others constantly comment admiringly on the plane too. When I was in High River one day, a guy flying over head in an RV10 called out over the radio his compliments, "Hey, is that a Maule? That's a really nice plane!" Of course, credit for keeping it such a great specimen of the type goes to you!

It's my plan to come out to see you, and take you up on your kind offer to show me around and teach me about island hopping and beach landings etc. It's something I've been very much looking forward to.

I hope all is well in Qualicum. By the time I feel some mastry with landings and get some needed mountain training, the weather might be about ready to let me through to the coast!

m5210guy

Post by m5210guy »

If your instructor is up for it I think you guys should explore the river to your north east .I saw some gravel bars on that river that looked doable .Once shown how to land there , thats where I would do the bulk of my training .Perfect your take-offs and landings on those gravel bars , see how big the rocks look from altitude compared to the ground , so you learn how to judge rock size when landing somewhere different .Check where the soft spots are on the gravel bar compared to the waters flow .Stay away from wet sand on a river but land on it when landing on a beach .
I look forward to seeing you again .

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hi Ward ,

Those are great suggestions! I'll take it up with my instructor, to see if he's into it. If not, another list member here, Nick, is very much into this type of activity with his M5-235. Of course, seeing it demo strated is different from performing it.

Btw, on another related matter, I had a call from TrannyCanada this a.m. about registration changes. They've sent a document along, so I'll email you on that after work.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Brenton C wrote: Btw, on another related matter, I had a call from TrannyCanada this a.m. about registration changes. They've sent a document along, so I'll email you on that after work.
I'm glad to see that Canada registers all of their Trannies, that should really simplify things when some of the guys on this forum head up there.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

LOL

Not politically correct, i'm sure to say so in central LA, but a little tranny humour is ok on a back country type forum like this once in a while, surely.