Pirep

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Brenton C
100+ Posts

Pirep

Post by Brenton C »

Greetings gentlemen and (you all too few) gentlewomen flyers,

I'm now about 3 months into ownership of my first airplane, a Maule M5-210C.

Whilst the insurance company asked for a mere 10 hours training . . . I would have destroyed the aircraft if cut loose at 10. I havent counted...its probably over 25 hours and counting.

Here are some thoughts so far: cross wind? Holy Carp! This is no 172 in a cross wind! 3 kt, and careful not to pirohette into a ground loop!

Suddenly my least favorite song is "wind beneath my wing". Yeah, you are the wind beneath my wing that wants to flip me over!

Apart from death defying 3 kt cross wind landings, i am just thrilled with what a sweet sweet airplane this is. I expect this is a love affair tha will last. Or it will kill me. Like any passionate love affair I suppose.

In the air this plane just flies. And if this is "flying", then I can tell you from 192 hours in a 172, that that's more like being in a coma. Ok, I dramatize. The M5 is tight and responsive like a sports car. It's cozy, It feels solid, itz's fun.

I had a fantasy when buying it that this would b my one plane, but I think it might be true. Itz's plenty fast, slows down plenty slow, feels as stable as it does responsive, and once I master these pesky landings, I'm convinced it's a safer ride than, say, the Long Ez I'd Long Dreamed about!

Even though this plane is a 1974 model, it is so pretty, I dare not post a picture of it--admiring comments at the home airport frm young ladies and old men alike begin to make me a bit uncomfortable.

Ok, the latter make me uncomfortable, and the former make me perilously hopeful.

I'm not usd to this kind of admiration, frankly. I don't don't quite get whats so sexy about this plane. But maybe my own enthusiasm is a hint!

For you single gentlemen may I suggest that as part of your standard survival gear, you include some non-perishable eadibles, a blanket and a bottle,or two of wine?

Imcan hardly wait to take my fiance to a scenic mountain strip for a picnic in the rockies . . . And that's for sure nothing I ever thought of when I was fixated on a Long EZ, and it's requirement for a longgggggg paved runway.

So the adventure continues.

I thank those on the list for encouraging me toward the Maule when it was in the consideration phase. A welcome difference from, say, the Grumman folks whose "piss off and die" attitude, by contrast .. . failed to inspire me.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Amen, brother :D
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Oh, but I forgot to say where I flew. Cfx2, Okotoks, to CEN4 high rivr to,gas up, and pay up for 6 tanks of gas (thanks Candy!), then on ot touch an goes at a couple of grass strips facing 24 toward tje Rockies.

Then home again to Cfx2 for some more death defying cross wind landings.

You can watch the action and critique me if you search helspar06 on youtube. My instructor has posted a couple of videos.

So, I'm enjoying this plane immensely. Feels like I've found the hobby/fascination ai was meant for, even though the 172 would have obscured/numbed me from the feeling.

I know I'm preaching to th choir, but you know that vn the choir needs a sermon once in a while.

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Wow! Well stated. which part of the country are you from? And you must post a picture !!

Dan

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Wrx, you picked up on my sermonesque attitude, wven before I acknowledged it in post #2.

I am truly glad (blessed) to be a member of this congregation!

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hi Dan,

I'm in Calgary, and hangared in Okotoks just south. I'll post up a picture when I get home witha apologies to Edmonton--I'm actually not an Eskimo fan. Don't hate me for my paint job-- I don't evn like football.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Brenton, why don't you edit your profile with a location? Then we all know where you are?

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

"Truth in beer" -- and isn't it just so!

Good idea for tne profile.

I'll sdd a pic of the M5 a.s.a.p.!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Brenton C wrote:"Truth in beer" -- and isn't it just so!

Good idea for tne profile.

I'll sdd a pic of the M5 a.s.a.p.!
Yeah but not always popular. ;)

Looking fwd to the pic.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

D@mn... Thought I placed a pic in my still non existant avatar.
Last edited by Brenton C on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Touch and Go

Post by Brenton C »

Here's some go pro "footage" of touch and goes at CEN4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diyyAYS7 ... ture=share

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying your new Maule.

I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Thanks, Mau',

Yes -- I think of all the hobbies I've tried, and never "felt it" the way I hoped I would. The way others with a passion for something seem to feel it. Frankly I expected it would be the same with aviation.

But I'm delighted that this feels different. A shame it has to be more expensive than stamp collecting. ;-)

I hope to participate in some of the fly-in gatherings in the warmer months ahead, and meeting more Maule-minded brethren.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

And this is just the beginning, enjoy it!

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Thanks Andrew. I'm looking forward to a long and passionte relationship with this machine!