Had a Flat

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Had a Flat

Post by wtxdragger »

Please forgive the lameass texts. :D

http://youtu.be/E2END7H0ZdI
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Nice video & well done. We don't normally get a night flight thrown in.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Nice video, thanks for posting. It was handy to be able to call someone for a repair.
We should get together i'm not far away from your area.
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Great video that shows a possible downside of flying in the boonies.

Could you feel the difference with a 8.00 on port and the 8.50 on starboard?

I liked where the camera was mounted. Did the case get sandblasted?

What are the thoughts from the group, especially the A&P/IA members, on carrying and using a can of Fix-A-Flat to get you home. I realize this may ruin the tire, but if you are in a remote area this may be your only avenue.
MXT-7-180A Comet

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I changed both sides to the 8.50. It was part of my plan as I transition upwards to the 31" bushwheel. I had an old set of tires and tubes that came off the 170.

In my mind, I was going to wear the 8.00 down, then the 8.50, and then get the big boys on there. Always seems to be a little kink in my plans. :D
Makes it all that much more fun!

I also learned while editing the video that the GoPro has a low light setting. :oops: Maybe next time I can provide a better night video. I used a Ram handlebar mount to attach to rear strut. The case has not gotten sandblasted so far.
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

That was great, thanks!! :D

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Fix a Flat will normally be good for nothing but ballast in tube type tire flat if it went flat on T-O or Landing as you usually end up pulling out the valve core or tearing on the inner tube. I guess it'd probably work for a slow leaker with a cactus needle or something like that?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Speaking of night work. On my little grass strip I was thinking of putting in something for night landings with out using lights has any body tried using reflectors or maybe those solar yard lights to light the outline of a runway. In the past if I didn't make it home by dark I'd land in a nearby airport then wait for the wife or some body to pick me up
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Thank you, I really enjoyed that video
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

Solar lights work good and solar spot lights work even better.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

aero101 wrote:Fix a Flat will normally be good for nothing but ballast in tube type tire flat if it went flat on T-O or Landing as you usually end up pulling out the valve core or tearing on the inner tube. I guess it'd probably work for a slow leaker with a cactus needle or something like that?
Thanks Aero, that's exactly what my IA said this morning.
MXT-7-180A Comet

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

maule988 how did you set them up? I had not thought about the spot lights just something to outline the runway with maybe some different colors to highlight the touch down zone. I could point the spot light there to give a better aim point. What type of landing light do you have some of those led's I would like to throw out as much light as I could. I've used headlights from a truck leaving some remote spots in the past but never tried to land that way.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

The first attempt we just had regular solar lights and they worked good but were kind of dim and couldnt see them untill Short final. Then we bought some solar spot lights and pointed them so they shine at you while on approach. Unfortunately some of the batteries were junk so only a few worked but they were much more visable. That will be fixed this summer. As far as my landing light goes it is just a stock setup.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

ABW has the "No Tubes" stuff and several people tell me it works well. I have not tried it. Huh... Their site is down. Message reads "Closed until January 2014"...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

captnkirk wrote:Speaking of night work. On my little grass strip I was thinking of putting in something for night landings with out using lights has any body tried using reflectors or maybe those solar yard lights to light the outline of a runway. In the past if I didn't make it home by dark I'd land in a nearby airport then wait for the wife or some body to pick me up
Solar spot lights along the sides of the runway, and solar powered LED strips for threshold, end and PASIs work OK on my home strip as long as it's not pitch dark:

http://youtu.be/zvJSF_vPvy4

Pete
(Getting to know my "new" mule...)
MX-7-180 N280SA