Had a Flat

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Njacko watched your video interesting idea with the spot lights seem to put out enough light to stay lined up. I've put out some cones with reflectors so far works till sun light is gone . I've got some trees to deal with so not sure if I'll ever truly do night landings but I feel comfortable with dusk returns.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

It's the older or bolder thing.

In the mid 70s I was flying a 150 out of my backyard strip (less trees than now) and doing some flight instruction in CLT. I would fly it to work and occasionally get caught there after dark. I had two oil cans (before it came in bottles) with lamp wicks and kerosene. I placed one in the center at the end and the other on the right side about a third of the way (400 ft) down. I would call the wife and have her light the wicks. Upon approaching I would line up on the two flares so as to pass thru the gap in the trees. As I passed over the first can I would kick the rudder to put the second flare on the right and roll out down the runway. Thought about it the other day abd just scratched my head. Guess it was as much of a feat that I actually ever found the place, no GPS just lights of the town four miles away and a light in a couple neighbors back yard.

Like I said, old OR bold. Backyard strips are daylight for me now.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

oh that gave me a chuckle there are things I have done make me scratch my head and wonder what was I thinking
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

captnkirk wrote: I've got some trees to deal with so not sure if I'll ever truly do night landings but I feel comfortable with dusk returns.
Same here, trees and hills all around, but the runway spot lights and the approach slope indicators make landing comfortable until just after official twilight. Once it gets really dark it's not for me - would need cojones from ABW catalog...

Peter.
MX-7-180 N280SA