Oregon: John Day, Joseph, in the Maule and Beechcraft.

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Oregon: John Day, Joseph, in the Maule and Beechcraft.

Post by Mountain Doctor »

It was a perfect weekend here this weekend.

Although I got to ride my motorcycle all 3 days my flying was more interesting so I thought I'd share:-)

Mt Hood at sunset over the Columbia River. This was coming home from Joseph, Oregon in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. We were in the Maule.

Downtown Joseph. A beautiful mountain town partially surrounded by snowcapped 8,000 foot plus mountians.

The sunset last night while I was flying Monte's Beechcraft home from John Day, Oregon. 180 MPH airplane really rocks. The fact that the landing light failed in pitch black darkness when I was on final approach for Richland was not appreciated though. It worked out fine though, I flew it like a glossy water seaplane landing.

Mt Hood yesterday from the Beech. This was the south approach, the prior pic was from the east.

Bill and Monte with his Beech on the ramp in John Day. VERY highly recommended destination.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Great pictures!

I think you are going to get spoiled in that Beechcraft Rocket.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Indeed I am! :D

It burns some fuel but it gets there fast. It's also easier to fly such a stable craft with it's higher wing loading. The gear makes a great speed brake when it's time to come down also. It really takes a set in a turn, trims out straight, and carries a load.

Of course it lacks the coolness of a Maule (although it has its own), and although it gets up and down well for a fast airplane, it's short/soft field performance is lacking. Everything is a tradeoff.

PLUS, if (when) the shit hits the fan, the motor quits, or a landing is forced for some reason (weather, in flight emergency) I'd want to be in the Maule 1,000 times out of 1,000. 8)
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843