Idaho summer flyfishing

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
flyfish1

Idaho summer flyfishing

Post by flyfish1 »

I managed to get my M-4 out to Idaho this summer for a solo flyfishing /camping trip. I made a 30 minute video to show my fishing buddies. I decided to edit a short version I could upload to vimeo for free. I really enjoyed the bushwheels however they were not much help for the crosscountry portion from Wisconsin. The flyfishing was really good at Vines and a little slow at Shearer. It was my first time out the Idaho backcountry. I will definately be going back. Unfortunately this summer I will be deployed to another mountainous region of the world. My approach into Vines did get a little flat while I was checking out all the good holding water. Hope you like the video.

https://vimeo.com83281362
flyfish1

flyfish1

forgot a /

Post by flyfish1 »

This should get to it. https://vimeo.com/83281362
flyfish1

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Awesome video thanks for sharing. The M4 is beautiful as well.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Great Video, Thanks for Posting.
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Beautiful video! I was out that way in 2012 in a Super Cub. Too expensive to fly the Maule from NC to Idaho so I flew to Boise commercially, rented Lori MacNichols' Super Cub and took their mountain/canyon flying seminar. I want to do a trip in the Maule if I can scrape up the cash for fuel. Lori's Cub had 31" ABW tires and my Maule only has 8.50 tires but I think it will work fine as long as I stay out of the soft stuff.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

Fantastic video. Beautiful scenery. You chaps are truly privileged to have such scenery on your doorstep.
I do like the aft strut position for the camera. It adds more perspective for the viewer (I like the shots from within the cabin where the panel can be seen too, for the same reason).

Weather rubbish here. Pretty much under water for the last two weeks. Thunder, lightning, large hail and gales today :(
David
'91 MX-7-180

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Great video and thank you for sharing it!

What engine does your M-4 have?

It seems to get off of the strips in short order.
MXT-7-180A Comet

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

I really really liked that! I'd like to get lost out there with a horse, a SAA and Winchester!

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

holy shit fly fish.... we're twins..... I have the same paint scheme on my M4 only no red on the leading wing edge.... I've got the continental though.... check out my pix on BCP... can't post pix here.... Check where did you fly today for my last post.....Iceman
Iceman

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I do Johnson creek every year.. was there in July for 10 days fly fishing the back country with my son, and spent a couple days with Rob Burson also...haven't had much luck at SHearer either.. caught fish but they were small.... anywhere on Big creek is good fly fishing also Upper loon is excellent....Sulphur creek is good to and convenient at meal time....
Iceman

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback. Andy I believe you could use 8.50 tires for most of the strips most of the time. I just like the insurance the 31" ABW give me. Hopefully they will soak up any mistakes I happen to get myself into. They have already soaked up some almost invisible ridges on sandbars that would have caused some issues with 8.50s on.

Maulehigh sorry the weather is rubbish at your location. Here in Wisconsin we are expecting a high temp of -14F tomorrow. I too feel lucky to be able to fly here in the states. Idaho is not exactly on my doorstep. It would be more like a crosscountry from London to Bucharest. I can fly that distance here and not have to talk to anyone or pay to fly on an airway. Yes we are lucky. I hope it stays that way.

MauMau I have the Franklin 220hp engine in my M4. I just put on an 82 inch prop and it performs even better.

Iceman I think I will have to check out the UpperLoon next time I am out that way. That's great you can get out thier every year. You will have to let me know if you find any other good trout flyin spots. I can't compare to the other Maules but I really like my M4. I will try to track down your pics.
flyfish1

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Wow, very nice! I have got to get up there one of these days.