Catalina Island, CA

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Ralph Mailloux

Catalina Island, CA

Post by Ralph Mailloux »

Took a short hop from the mainland to Catalina Island two days ago with my buddy for that $100 hamburger.

http://vimeo.com/79420109

Ralph M.
KHHR/OG31
Ralph M.
2003 MT7-235
OG31

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I would love to go there one day, but if I never make it at least I can say I have seen it. Thanks for the ride Ralph!

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I have only flown over Catalina on a departure out of KLAX.

Nice to see a closer perspective of the island.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Back when life was good and I lived in Kalifornia Catalina was a favorite destination. :D

I'd fly high over or through LAX airspace and set up a gradual descent out to the island, from ship to ship if they were placed covienently if a forced landing in the water was needed. :shock:

IIRC it was pretty expensive just to get a ride into Avalon, and my impression is that the airport's operations were unloved by the locals. :x

Great place though.

BTW I love the way a Maule is well off the runway before the numbers. 8)
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Nice video thanks for the memories. Good flying too! :D

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I hear the landing fee is up to $25 dollars. is that correct... it's why most locals pass it up...
Iceman

Ralph Mailloux

Post by Ralph Mailloux »

The landing fee is $25 which goes to maintaining the runway. One could assert that that is a lot however, they do indeed use it to pay for resurfacing which considering the location is costly. The resturant located on site is actually good and during the summer hosts all you can eat buffet dinner every other Saturday with a live country band. Tri-tip, chicken, Caesar Salad, corn on the cob, garlic bread and pie and ice cream desert. Residents and tourists from town participate but the vast majority are flying in. I've seen as many as 30 airplanes on the Tarmac. Reservations are a must.
Ralph M.
2003 MT7-235
OG31

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Do they still have buffalo at the resturant?

There was no landing fee last time I was there IIRC but the ride to Avalon was about $30.

$25 to land there is not out of line if the money indeed goes to maintain the airport.

Even if it was $100 I'd recommend the trip to any skilled pilot at least once as the ride and scenery and experience are amazing.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Ralph Mailloux

Post by Ralph Mailloux »

There are buffalo roaming the island and one can sometimes find them close by when sitting on the resturant's outdoor patio. The resturant has buffalo burgers on the menu so that might make the buffalo a little skittish. One can also get a shuttle to Avalon where cars are not allowed and enjoy the sites. Landing is best using runway 22 since it has an uphill grade and usually a headwind. Runway 4 has to be on the numbers for touchdown since it is downgrade and requires a headwind. Lots of accidents occure because many don't realize that the runway crowns in the middle giving the appearance that the runway is to short. :(
Ralph M.
2003 MT7-235
OG31

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

The optical illusion of a short runway is prominent there. Even so, with a Maule it's not a factor, but I understand a few jets have had botched go-arounds with poor outcomes.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

That looks like a fun flight, will have to add that to my "someday" list. Thanks for sharing.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I watch the eagle cameras from Cat Island. so am familiar with the areas. thx for the vid. http://www.iws.org/interactive_nestchat_allUstream.html

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Hey Duane, get back in your tree-stand young man!
MXT-7-180A Comet

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Great video Ralph !! 40 years ago I was at a boys scout camp on the island and it's on my bucket list to visit it again, maybe next summer. thanks for the inspiration !
Dan

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I had interest in flight school at LGB many years ago and Catalina required a checkout in all our rental aircraft... Over the years, many aircraft planted on both approach end and departure end... Usually from dragging in low approach, hitting rotors of wind on approach end on a windy day, getting into a high sink rate and not clearing ridge, or high and landing long not having enough runway to stop going downhill. Can be hazardous place... You used to be able to avoid runway landing fee by landing on RH edge of runway where DC3 from Catalina Air landed in the grass? They've probably changed that rule by now though? Not sure if Catalina Air still around or not? They used to have a couple of DC3's and couple of Twin Beech's, kinda like old days with the round engine noise. Sure had good buffalo burgers though!! Do they still have all the elect golf carts that residents use to get around on?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.