The Hostage Crisis, a Titan Missile, and the Strap-on.

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
MAU MAU
100+ Posts

The Hostage Crisis, a Titan Missile, and the Strap-on.

Post by MAU MAU »

What should have been a one day installation of a JPI EDM-730 engine analyzer soon turned into a major three week hostage crisis. As I was having difficulty starting the Lycoming, the IA started poking and probing and we soon had a laundry list of items that needed to be rectified.

This included having both exhaust systems being sent to Dawley in Wisconsin for a complete rebuild, and what came back was stellar. The Slick Mags needed new points and were retimed, a missing STC was tracked down, an improperly installed fuel flow transducer was rewired and repositioned, the year old Garmin GTN 750 did not have the required rear support bracket which needed to be ordered, 8 new spark plugs as 6 failed, had the propeller balanced, and while I was losing my mind with these anomalies, I decided to have a Reiff Turbo XP engine preheat system installed as well.

I am sure there was more that was fixed but I don't want to think about it.

Anyways, I was losing patience and told them that I was going turn their FBO into a smoking hole unless they finished my Maule. I got this pup on Craigslist and I have been dying to try it out.

Not wanting to have their FBO vaporized (along with most of the northeast) they kicked it into high gear. Looking like a Circus Clown Car, the four mechanics (two are Air Force trained IA's) attack the last items on the list. They actually did an amazing job in making the Maule airworthy and I feel much safer now.

Having been deprived of flying the Maule over the past three weeks, I decided to fly from Portsmouth KPSM to Errol KERR in northern New Hampshire to try out the new EDM 730 engine analyzer.

The Lycoming started instantly, and with the propeller being dynamically balanced, there was almost zero vibration. So far I was thrilled! Turning on the avionics switch the JPI sprang to life and went through its start up sequence.

As with the already installed JPI 450, I pushed the fill button letting it know that the mains were filled and we had 40 gallons on board.

Takeoff was smooth and vibration free, and it was great to finally have precise engine operating parameters on display.

Here are a few pictures as I motored north.

After making a gradual descent utilizing the COLD feature to monitor shock cooling, the gravel strip at Errol came into view.

I met this gentleman (former Eastern pilot) who was working on a Cub that he has owned for 43 years and three major rebuilds. He had floats and hydraulic skis for year-round fun.

After talking for a bit and finding out that we knew a few of the same people, he gave me his truck keys so I could drive into the small town for lunch. For his kindness, I left a nice bottle of wine on his front seat when I returned.

When I got back at the airport I found this babe drooling all over my plane!

"Hey you Hussey, let go of my Spinner!"

I soon discovered that she only loves men who fly Tailwheels and I was sent on my way. :cry:

I soon departed and headed home thrilled with the quality work that was done to make the Maule safe and reliable.

Oh yea, I almost forgot about the Strap-On. (Get your mind out of the gutter!)

As I have been landing on more challenging strips with occasional stiff crosswinds, like most, I dump the flaps immediately for better braking and control. What I did not like however was losing sight of the landing surface as I dumped the flaps especially on really narrow roads.

I decided to install the EZ-FLAP unit and the difference has been night and day. I am now able to dump the flaps from 40* to -7* in an instant without moving my head or losing sight of the path before me. After using the EZ-FLAP for the past few months on over 50 landings, I would never go back.

Thanks for reading!........................Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

charliepace

Post by charliepace »

Great Post! Thanks.

charliepace

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

I like the way you filled some of those holes in your panel. Pretty colors too. Nice trip, neat photos, but I did notice the 121.5 dialed in on your Garmin SL 40. Were you expecting something? :shock:
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Awesome craigslist find!

I tried to warn you about the whole tailwheel thing...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

All of us tailwheel owners are gonna need way more information on the girl.........

Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy your pireps :)
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

Love the post. You've raised the bar again. I think you have the nicest MXT-180 in the skies. I am fortunate to be the owner of both a tri gear 180 and a tail wheel 235 and although I love my new M6, I can vouch for how wonderful a MXT-180A is! Safe, smooth, rugged, dependable, and effortless to fly (yes, I still sweat bullets every time I land my taildragger).
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Panel looks good Mau Mau, nice job. Out of curiosity, does the digital tach RPM match up with the analog tack indicated RPM? Glad to hear that you have your bird back, that's a very unique method of static balancing the prop

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Thanks for reading guys!

Riverbuggy: I always have one radio on 121.5 to listen for ELT's or to save time transmitting a MAYDAY should it be required. As I was not talking to anyone during this trip I had both radios on 121.5.

Crbnunit: since I already have a beautiful bride I feel safer without a Tailwheel. According to recent statistics, owners of Tailwheel aircraft are 80% more likely to get a divorce due to the promiscuity involved.

Multimauler: I agree about the total ease of flying a trigear, and feel better knowing my wife is learning to fly in such a docile craft.

Bobguhr: the RPM's match perfectly as well as the fuel flow on the original JPI 450. It still needs a little K factor tweaking but I love it so far. For those contemplating a JPI product, they have some great rebates for some of their units. The JPI 730 I installed has a $300 rebate.

https://www.jpinstruments.com/jpi-deals/

The airport babe was all over me when she thought I owned the Tailwheel, but when I continued walking towards my nosegragger, she let out a blood curling scream and ran off to take a shower.
MXT-7-180A Comet

TomD
100+ Posts

New panel

Post by TomD »

I was considering a trip to Errol in my M5-235C but after consideration

(Wife at martial art practice)

Image[/img]

I figured the trip might be too expensive.

8)

TD

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

What should have been a one day installation of a JPI EDM-730 engine analyzer soon turned into a major three week hostage crisis.

Aviation.... :roll:

It's only money...

:cry:

Great post, and pictures.

BTW I can post pics of many lovelys who love nosegear pilots as well no nothing lost on that front. :wink:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

"According to recent statistics, owners of Tailwheel aircraft are 80% more likely to get a divorce due to the promiscuity involved."
I'm not sure how to react to those stats. Should I be encouraged there is opportunity out there or disappointed I may very well be in the 20% being denied...

Tom. I would STRONGLY encourage you to behave.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I don't see a wedding ring on Mrs TomD, so I say fuel her up and head east young man!
MXT-7-180A Comet

TomD
100+ Posts

Ring

Post by TomD »

I don't see a wedding ring on Mrs TomD, so I say fuel her up and head east young man!
Wearing jewelry is too dangerous according to sensei......reall???? compared to a three foot long sword how is a ring dangerous? Hmmmm now I think about it.... :roll:

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I'll take my chances with the sword.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Mountain Doctor: I get the impression you're not intending to hitch-up again anytime soon. :?:
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U