I've got MAULE WITHDRAWAL and I got it BAD!

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
MAU MAU
100+ Posts

I've got MAULE WITHDRAWAL and I got it BAD!

Post by MAU MAU »

So I'm flying around, minding my own business, and this 'available hole' in my panel keeps calling my name.

Hey! What about me! I need something like the other holes! How about another CDI, or an ADI, or an AOT indicator? Oh wait a minute, I know, how about a real nice engine analyzer? That's what I want is a JPI engine analyzer with all of the bells and whistles!

So, being new to the aircraft ownership thing, I foolishly agree. And thinking I can get a few more things done while the mechanic is under the hood, I come up with a short laundry list that he says will only take two days.

JPI-EDM, Reiff heating system, balance the prop, etc............., but they ALWAYS find more that needs to be 'fixed' once they open her up.

So now I am coming up on six days without the Maule, and I am ready to check myself into Trembling Hills Sanatorium. Were talking the robe, the cotton shoes, the music playing as I shuffle off for my meds, full lock-down, the works.

So, while I am waiting for a room to open up, the nurses suggested I talk about my separation anxiety, including any recent trips in the Maule which may help calm my nerves, and I reluctantly agree.............

We planned on flying from Portsmouth New Hampshire to Basin Harbor in Vermont on the shores of Lake Champlain which is about 130 miles west. They have a beautiful grass strip next to the resort and a fine restaurant that you can taxi right up to.

Here is my dutiful and ever helpful wife assisting with the pre-flight.

Once I do all of the dirty work, she takes the controls in cruise.

But the wind starts to pick up, and we now have a 40 knot headwind which happened to be quite choppy, so we decide to divert into Parlin airport in Newport NH for some Mexican food at the Red Baron Cafe. 100LL is $5.39.

After consuming some marginal tex-mex, we head back towards Portsmouth, and will plan on heading to Basin Harbor real soon.

Oh, gotta go, my room is ready! Visiting hours are 1-3 every third Wednesday!

Thanks for listening................Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Sold
Last edited by MauleWacko on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bennevis

Post by bennevis »

Why are you taking the 700 out?? did not like what it was telling you? or got some thing better?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Great pictures!

Linda provides similar assistance, although she is great at 'tug' duties :D .

+1 on the JPI, IMHO one of the most important pieces of equipment needed to most efficently run your motor safely and for the best longevity.

I resist the 'empty hole call' best I can.

I'm a VFR puke, and saving my cash-ola for the Big Government Mandate of ADS-B in a few years. :twisted:

I guess this way the government can better track my every move... :evil:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

highroad

Post by highroad »

MauleWacko wrote:I am taking a JPI EDM 700 out. It is complete for a six cylinder with about ten hours on it . Anyone need one?
Give me a call, I am looking for one possibly for my Maule.

541-four,zero,four, 2775

Sorry to derail the thread, so I'll try and add a little. I to am going through an avionics install, that has taken much longer than thought, but it is turning out better than I had planned, so not all is lost. I also have a JPI 700 in my Bonanza, and love the instrument. It is simple, small and works very well.

Brent
I'm in Oregon

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

MauleWacko wrote:I am taking a JPI EDM 700 out. It is complete for a six cylinder with about ten hours on it . Anyone need one?
Jeez Wacko, I'm about to get another hypo to calm my nerves and you rudely interrupt to hawk your wares!

Thanks for the compassion. You're a regular Mother Theresa. :roll:
MXT-7-180A Comet

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

. :shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Not that I don't appreciate all the bells and whistles, the need to keep the weight low usually overpowers the desire to fill empty space on the panel... Oh, and the need to maintain the weight of my wallet! LOL!

40kt wind, chop and "marginal" Mexican food. You sir, are a brave man!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

MAU MAU wrote:
Jeez Wacko, I'm about to get another hypo to calm my nerves and you rudely interrupt to hawk your wares!

Thanks for the compassion. You're a regular Mother Theresa. :roll:
MW keeps the balance on the site from the mega poster happy happy folks. He brings it down the the real and to the point kinda view :D .

If you are sensitive I would stay clear of MW :lol: He is good people :D

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

You're absolutely right jmtgt!

This great forum would be totally ruined if we had happy and enthusiastic posters who actually contribute.

I know things are starting to get cold in the 49th state, but your ability to pick up on humor is a little frozen. I was joking with WM, just as I was throughout this post.

.......oops, gotta go, I have electro shock at 9 sharp..............
MXT-7-180A Comet

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

MAU MAU wrote:
.......oops, gotta go, I have electro shock at 9 sharp..............
Keep it up it is not working.

I sold my Maule and have a lot of friends here but people like you are forcing me to move on. Off to the Beech site to play with the Baron folks. I do not care about your NH mildew humor. Oh do not bother replying for me because I will not be back to see your last jab! :shock:

To my friends, talk to you all soon.

TO MAU MAU......well never mind

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I am truly sorry to see you go.....................mildew
MXT-7-180A Comet

cs409
100+ Posts

food/humor

Post by cs409 »

Marginal TexMex! Maybe New Hampshire Mex or
Patio TV Dinner Mex would be a better comparison! :lol:

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Re: food/humor

Post by MAU MAU »

cs409 wrote:Marginal TexMex! Maybe New Hampshire Mex or
Patio TV Dinner Mex would be a better comparison! :lol:
I think you are 100% correct.

Whatever 'it' was took 6 Alka-Seltzers to put it out of its misery.

Guess I'll have to fly down Harligen way to get some of the real stuff.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Bad Mexican food is still a good reason to fly, although if it's bouncy and the food was real bad I can forsee some downsides. :shock:

I don't think of New England as being famous for it's mexican food though...
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843