Great Arkansas fly to option

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
multimauler

Great Arkansas fly to option

Post by multimauler »

Had to drop a friend off in Little Rock AR last weekend and as usual I tried to figure out how to make the trip a getaway adventure. I opened the sectional on Foreflight and looked for something interesting and saw where Petit Jean State Park had its own runway.
Looked up the park online, it looked great, I called them up and made a reservation for a lodge room ($70/night! Unreal) and asked them if they could pick me up at the runway. They said no problem, to call as soon as we landed and they would be there before we could tie down. I gave my wife 15 minutes to pack an overnight bag and off we went. Two hours later we had dropped our friend off in Little Rock and were landing KMPJ.

We grabbed our bags from the plane (I'm embarrassed to say we took the C182 on this trip) and in no time we were pulling in to Mather Lodge.

Couldn't believe how beautiful it was. It was built in 1939 as one of the depression era CCC work projects like so many of our national parks.

Checked in, and stepped right out the back door of the lodge to this view.

We timed it perfect for sunset. We stepped right back into the lodge for dinner "in a room with a view!"

Pretty nice huh? Special of the night - Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans, $7.99!

Found our room after dinner not expecting much ($70) but were pleasantly surprised with a super comfortable room with all new bedding

Went to bed with plans on hiking to Canyon Falls first thing in the morning. Needed to be back in North Texas by noon. The trailhead was literally 50' from our lodge room. It was a beautiful morning for a hike.

I have the most beautiful wife!

Okay you Alaska guys will get a kick out of this. We Texas guys dream of your kind of survival adventures. But there is a landing strip every 10 miles or so. In fact there are actually 22 landing strips within a 10 mile radius from my hometown airport. It's hard to get lost or even out of sight of anyone. But nevertheless I'm always trying to be prepared, wondering if I could survive.

On the hike I took along my "Prepared Pilot" pocket survival kit. The whole way to the falls we kept passing pools in the stream that were full of fish. I kept thinking, "I wonder if I could actually catch something with the little fishing kit in a tube?"

I couldn't stand it any longer. Had to try it out. Found some berries on a bush. Had no idea what they were but thought they looked just like "Gulp". I cut a branch, rolled out some line and tied the hook from my pouch.

And on the first cast I proved I had what it takes to survive!

Caught 5 of those beauties in 5 minutes. And was about to cook them up for breakfast, but kept thinking of that beautiful lodge restaurant back up the hill. So, loaded omelet, toast and coffee for me. Forget perch stew!

Checked out, was driven back to the airport by the sweetest young lady, A fresh out of college park ranger. She actually braked and dodged a butterfly flying across the road on our way. I told her she had definitely chosen the right career.

All that said, Petit Jean State Park is jewel for the beautiful state of Arkansas and a perfect place for GA pilots looking for an easy quick adventure. You guys should check it out.
www.petitjeanstatepark.com
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Wow! I have spent a lot of time caving in the Ozarks of Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri but I have never been to that park. What a beautiful place! I miss the area and I miss getting underground. Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by crbnunit on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

OK David, I have a question (read doubt) and a concern with your story.

1) You are trying tell us that your wife was able get packed, and I mean FULLY PACKED, for a spur of the moment overnight, in just 15 MINUTES?

2) I know laws vary state by state, and am fully aware that things are done differently in the Lone Star State, but looking at your child bride wife, I think you may be breaking a few laws even for Texas.

I have taken the liberty of reporting this thread to the Texas Division of Child Services for further investigation. I can only imagine the horrors this poor young thing has had to endure from a double Maule owner!
MXT-7-180A Comet

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

Mau Mau
My wife is cracking up. She said to tell you that was a really big deal that she pulled it together that quick. It really happened that way. We've been married almost 25 years and that was the first time I've ever been able to make her do anything that spontaneous. We have 4 incredible kids and all the stars aligned perfectly that afternoon for her to be able to go. She also says thanks for the flattery. And yes, I definitely married "up"!
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

rv6af

Thanks for sharing!

Post by rv6af »

Just thought I would say thanks for push. it really make me want to hurry up and get into the air! Great Pic's

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Great trip report thanks!
I understand there are also camping spots on or right next to the airport on the opposite end from the hangars?
I am thinking this will require 2 trips, one with the family to hit the lodge and relax, and another to do some camping with who ever tags along.

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

Andrew
That's correct. I forgot to mention that. Right on the end of Rwy 18 on the right there is a beautiful area right on the lake edge. It has 10 or so tent camping spots with everyone of them being in the trees, all nice and shady. There are also park restrooms right there at the tent camping area.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Great story, pictures and commentary from the Maule community. I'll definitely add Petit Jean to my list of places to visit, particularly when making my next big cross country flight to Oregon from our home base in. Virginia. Next time take the right plane!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

cfiipilot

Leaf viewing

Post by cfiipilot »

This post inspired me to take my girlfriend and go up to AR for changing of the leaves viewing. Gadston's (3M0) for lunch- really nice grass strip, and then to Petit Jean for overnight, the weekend of the 9th. Great flight and the lunch was... not bad . Petit Jean however is a must see during the fall colors. We returned to North Little Rock via flying along the Arkansas River, another great must fly it believe it.

However you will want to watch out for the young man at the Petit Jean airport, he comes out and tells us that he will give us a ride to the lodge for $10 and that the lodge charges $20 each way. And he offers to give us his phone # so that we can call him the next morning thereby saving us the $20 that the lodge will charge. Turns out the lodge picks you up and returns you to the field for free, if you are staying at the lodge.
Wayne Sharp
MX-7-180A
(90LA)

galtpilot

Petit Jean

Post by galtpilot »

My wife and I stopped at Petit Jean on the way back from the Maule Homecoming after seeing your post. We had a great time at both events. The colors were spectacular but the waterfall was pretty lame. They say it was a very dry summer. The guy at the airport took us to the lodge and didn't charge a penny and the lodge gave us a ride back to the airport. Thanks for sharing the post it was definitely worth the detour on our way back to northern Illinois.

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Great post David ! I have got to start checking the forum more often... I'm a bit late on this one. BTW.....The Texas Maule Association needs to organize a fly-out to this place !
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461