The Hunting thread, 2013

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

success on our caribou hunt. 2 nice unit 13 bulls.

perfect weather on our first day. after that it got a little worse every day until we woke up to snow on the 3rd day. pretty amazing to hunt under the picture perfect view of denali in 50 degree temps !

the maule was the mvp hauling everything in and all the animals out.

M5-235

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

The last picture is an "Only in Alaska" picture if there ever was one! :lol:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Trapper Creek/Peter's Hills?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

crbnunit wrote:Trapper Creek/Peter's Hills?

No this was farther north. Susitna dam area.
M5-235

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

Great pics, Kurt. Makes me miss Alaska hunting badly and I've only been gone about 4 months!
Idaho is beautiful, but the scale is just not the same.
I'll be up late October to bring the plane down, it would be great to see everyone one more time before I fly it back down to Idaho.
new cell, 208-315-1102
1995 M-7-235B

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'd still like to do a fall fly-in somewhere if anyone is interested. Don't really care where.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Eastern Washington? :lol:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

highroad

Post by highroad »

We did not kill anything, but this was how we tried and the adventure that followed.

http://youtu.be/S60jmz0SdiA

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

That was a fabulous video! Thank you for posting it.

I really liked how you pieced the different segments together with script.

What software are you using?
MXT-7-180A Comet

highroad

Post by highroad »

Thanks.

I am using Imovie. Really a great and intuitive editor and the last update really simplified being able to adjust the volume of all the different clips (wind noise) etc.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Wow! Very nice!

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

highroad wrote:We did not kill anything, but this was how we tried and the adventure that followed.

Highroad,

What is the camera arrangement and mounting system that you are using?

The one shot looking back as you lifted off out of the snow it satrted to jello ( a slow wavey motion), that is what I am dealing with.

Thanks
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

highroad

Post by highroad »

benflyn wrote:
highroad wrote:We did not kill anything, but this was how we tried and the adventure that followed.

Highroad,

What is the camera arrangement and mounting system that you are using?

The one shot looking back as you lifted off out of the snow it satrted to jello ( a slow wavey motion), that is what I am dealing with.

Thanks
I am just using a velcro strap around the wing strut for most of my mounting as my plastic mounts have all broken (clamped around tail strut etc). Vibration is what kills my picture. I find it has do do with RPM and where on the strut I mount it. The fairing on the strut vibrates a lot sometimes, and I can look out and actually see the camera moving :cry:

I plan to machine some mounts like nflight cam makes for the gopro to put a screw or bolt through, but have not yet.

Brent

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

MAU MAU wrote:YM, it is difficult to make it out in the picture, but is your gun a Marlin Guide Gun in SS?

I have it in 45-70 and it has plenty of knock down power, especially when custom loads are rolled using the maximum powder allowed. I think it is the perfect backcountry aircraft tool.
That particular rifle is not mine. You are right though. I have an 1895 that is the gun that is always in the plane. I load 400gr Hornady Interlocks over 59 gr of AA2015 it is an amazing round. Chronys at 2100fps, incredible penetration and very controlled expansion. The bitch bites at both ends though. The go to for hunting though is a Husqvarna '06 with Hornady 180gr boat tails and 43 gr of the same powder. Tough to meter as it's a stick powder but very worthwhile.
Mtn Dr: Black Bear is remarkable if it's taken properly. If it's in the fish, pass. If it's on the run, pass. Adrenaline buggers the meat. You have to be very sneaky :wink: I had some mountain Grizzly the other night that was a real surprise. Very good. I've changed my views a little on hunting them. I am completely a meat hunter.
Ryan, awesome job on the 'Bou!
Live it like its your last day.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

YELLOWMAULE wrote: 'the bitch bites at both ends though'.

On some of my rifles, every time I pull the trigger on the range I feel like I've been in an auto crash.

Under duress however, when I have some four-legged freight train running straight towards me, I never even notice.

MXT-7-180A Comet