The Hunting thread, 2013

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

The Hunting thread, 2013

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Well, managed to get out for a week to try to fill out the freezer. While somewhat successful, had a great time and some amazing country with good people. Was joined by a friend from the States on his first hunt up here, a friend with a certified Producer and 32DL, another M4-210. The others got up to camp a day ahead of us. The days were progressively cooler until they were in the single digits in the mornings and yet mid fifties in the afternoons. I felt like an onion with all the layers we were shedding.
Anyway, managed a little Blackie. We spotted him heading into camp from a long ways out and raced him back to camp. We got there about 15 minutes before he did. While making coffee, I found him sneaking in and dropped him between the planes. There is little on this Earth I enjoy more than a berry-fed Black Bear so while we were unsuccessful on either Moose of Caribou, we do have some more Bear in the freezer. Guess I just have to go out again.
Beautiful Fall colors everywhere
32DL, an awesome camp cook. Note the Dutch Oven, after eating what he made in the that thing, I will never camp without one, thank God for the useful load of a Maule!
Baby Bear, lost sight of his goal.
More fall finery
Home for the next week and camp already set up!
Makes a guy feel pretty insignificant
Every sun angle was just as amazing as the last.
Live it like its your last day.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

great pix once again Curt...does the yellow peril have the extended heavy duty gear or just the heavy duty From ABW...been thinking about the extended HD gear....
Iceman

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Nice! What part of the state are you hunting?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Absolutely stunning scenery and thank you for posting!

What camera are you using, and if I had to guess, your bear was 85 lbs?
MXT-7-180A Comet

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Jeff, That's near the Styx River area in the Range
Butch, Nope, stock early gear. When I rebuilt them, I intentionally went with the early, lighter tube gear legs. They'll bend a little more before they'll snap as the heavier (Maule) gear will. There's also a little judicious reinforcement there.
Mau, I never weighed the little bugger but shot him out from between the planes. I'd watched him for a while and we came in, we high tailed it back to camp before he did. I didn't weigh him but I have a Lab just a little smaller than him. I'd guess in the 125# range. The camera is just one of those point & shoot Canon's. I go through about one a year and can pick them up for about $50 from CL.
Live it like its your last day.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

YM, it is difficult to make it out in the picture, but is your gun a Marlin Guide Gun in SS?

I have it in 45-70 and it has plenty of knock down power, especially when custom loads are rolled using the maximum powder allowed. I think it is the perfect backcountry aircraft tool.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Lovely pics.

As always you Alaskan's just about have the monopoly on scenery. :D

How much longer until you are on skis?

Congratulations on the bear. Better to eat him than the other way around. I suppose that area has both black and brown bear?

I like my S&W 500 Magnum when in grizzly country. God forbid I ever have to discharge it without ear protection. :shock:
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

cs409
100+ Posts

meat

Post by cs409 »

ok, am from southeast texas(as cajun in this part of texas as you can get without jumping the sabine river). we eat just about anything, but as far as i can recall, i have never tried bear.. so what does bear taste like? i know the first answer will be chicken, so what will the next answer be. thanks

i was told if i eat moose i will not want beef, is moose that good? best to all and good luck on the camping/hunt...

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Moose is good. So is caribou. I still think I like buffalo better though.

Mountain, it was snowing here in Anchorage until about 30 minutes ago. Won't be long!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

I'd never last in Alaska. I hate winter. :cry:

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

I've had bear a few times.

As with many game meats preparation is important. Many people find it to be a greasier meat and mix it with other meats in sausages and ground meat.

I've only had black bear. I don't know if grizzly tastes different.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I have eaten everything I have hunted except Hyena.

Hyena's are hands down the most fowl animal, but it am addicted to hunting them.

MXT-7-180A Comet

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

a pooah doe eyed, grass eatin, defenseless little deeah...Miss Monalisa Vito>>AKA Marissa Tomei... :D
Iceman

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Remind me to never have Mau Mau pet sit for me! :shock:

LOL! :lol:

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Ha, ha, ha...