Forget the $100.00 Hamburger!....How about a $37,000 Rueben!

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Forget the $100.00 Hamburger!....How about a $37,000 Rueben!

Post by MAU MAU »

There I was, happy as a clam with my new Maule, when 'the bride' starts up with the old "So, that's a pretty expensive toy you just bought yourself......"

Soon the one sided conversation turned into "What about me!?", and the small token she now expects of me to cough up is a new SUV for her.

After every possible argument as to why her SUV is in fine shape, and still has a few more miles in it before it bites the dust, she finally wears me down and I reluctantly admit defeat.

With my tail between my legs and plane keys in my hand, we head to the airport to purchase the worlds most expensive Rueben sandwich. After the most depressing flight in history, we land in Nashua New Hampshire where my good friend is waiting to whisk us off to his huge car dealership.

In short order, the brides new chariot is chosen, the check is written, and while she rides home smelling fresh leather, I fly to Hampton Field for lunch.

Hampton Field is a beautiful grass strip right out of National Geographic with a thriving diner and flight school that teaches mainly in J-3 Cubs. I taxi the Maule up to the parking area where many plane enthusiasts sit and watch, especially on the weekends.

Unfortunately I had to pass by the 'Geezer's Judging Tent' where the many retired airline types spend their days passing out advice on each landing.

After passing their muster I asked them why they didn't have large printed numbers so that they could hold them up to grade each landing. They informed me that they used to have a full set but someone kept stealing them and now they only have one left.

"We only have a 9, but if we hold it upside down, we can give a 6"

I make my way to the Diner and sit in the sun awaiting my Rueben.

After a great sandwich washed down with sweetened iced tea, I was wandering around the hanger area to admire the many fine aircraft based at Hampton when I bumped into this beauty.

Unfortunately, this M7-235 was part of the Lycoming crankshaft AD which requires opening up the engine and replacing the defective crankshaft. The mechanic said the owner opted to replace the entire engine with a zero time factory reman to kill two birds with one stone.

Feeling a little better (although lighter in the wallet), I departed Hampton for the very short hop back to my hanger at Pease, and then home to greet the bride as she arrives home in her new car.

Thanks for reading!....................Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Great looking plane.

I will remain single.

Is that the Avgas price?! We are around $6+ here.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

cs409
100+ Posts

spam

Post by cs409 »

Friend bought new HD Road King, then got stupid and road over to the beauty shop his bride was at having a hair job!

New car and $40,000.00 in a new kitchen make over and am not sure she's finished shopping yet! He missed out on humble pie and right to the spam burger..

Not sure who got hit the hardest, your wife now has new car and plane
:lol:

cs409
100+ Posts

spam

Post by cs409 »

Friend bought new HD Road King, then got stupid and road over to the beauty shop his bride was at having a hair job!

New car and $40,000.00 in a new kitchen make over and am not sure she's finished shopping yet! He missed out on humble pie and right to the spam burger..

cs409
100+ Posts

spam

Post by cs409 »

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

MD -

The price of 100LL varies from $5.50 for self serve to $6.50 for full service.

The $4.95 is for 93 octane auto gas without alcohol.

With regards to not getting married again, what about that cute little girl you have been flying around with? She looks like a definite keeper!
MXT-7-180A Comet

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Linda is awesome. :D

But....

I'd rather be clubbed to death like a Harp Seal on the pack ice than get married again...
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I can sympathize.
We are down to Young Squire at home. Mrs YM has driven Suburbans for two decades and now with the decrease in the need for a mommy mobile and the recent emergence of one's own persona instead of a Den Mother, we decided to replace the Suburban with something a little more applicable to our current demographic. After some shopping and a 1 hour flight to Soldotna, we had found the replacement vehicle for Mrs. YM's new chapter. She had a five hour drive home to aquaint herself with her new ride. She arrived home with a large grin and I get thanked on a regular basis. The irony is her car may be faster than my plane, but her grin is unbeatable.
Live it like its your last day.

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

Don't EEEven put stuff like this on a public forum where other people could have wives looking on!!!!
RT

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

YELLOWMAULE wrote:I can sympathize.
We are down to Young Squire at home. Mrs YM has driven Suburbans for two decades and now with the decrease in the need for a mommy mobile and the recent emergence of one's own persona instead of a Den Mother, we decided to replace the Suburban with something a little more applicable to our current demographic. After some shopping and a 1 hour flight to Soldotna, we had found the replacement vehicle for Mrs. YM's new chapter. She had a five hour drive home to aquaint herself with her new ride. She arrived home with a large grin and I get thanked on a regular basis. The irony is her car may be faster than my plane, but her grin is unbeatable.
Job well done YM. She's looking like a winner!

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

Hey Mau Mau,

N66E was the plane that my friend Jeff Hopf thought seriously about purchasing but he could not buy it worth the money and it was a LONG way from Texas. Good looking plane though ! I am especially fond of the color :)
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

NIce story Mau Mau.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

YELLOWMAULE : It looks like your bride made out OK! I think the mistake you made though was telling her what your Maule actually cost.

TIP : When reporting to the bride the cost of your latest toy, ALWAYS reduce said expenditure by AT LEAST 50%.

Russell : N66E is a fine looking bird, but I am still partial to either the blue stripes like yours or the forest green like Mr Beavers.

If your friend did purchase N66E, I would have flown it down for free.

It looks a little less noble as they pulled the engine the next day and are just waiting for the zero time Lycoming to arrive. The shop does quality work so whoever the new owner will be should have a fine craft.

MXT-7-180A Comet

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

RT wrote:Don't EEEven put stuff like this on a public forum where other people could have wives looking on!!!!
:D :D :D ..... :shock: Sorry, wasn't thinking that through very well was I? :roll:
Live it like its your last day.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

HAHA Kurt your wife is a Gem. She is more than fair and tolerant with you! :D

It is me she gets pissed at! :wink: