Flight Among Giants

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Flight Among Giants

Post by crbnunit »

Took a ride out Skwentna way yesterday. Ended up flying through the Kichatna Mountains, down through Shellabarger Pass, around to Purkeypile and back through Mystic Pass.

If I were in better shape and not so, ahem, "Gravitationally Challenged" I'd dust off the rock climbing gear and spend some time in the Kichatna's. Remote, beautiful, difficult access and absolutely stunning granite!

You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Beautiful pictures and thanks for sharing!

What is the height of those mountains?
MXT-7-180A Comet

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Cool, Jeff. On a day like that, it's hard to think of a better choice of route if you want to burn some avgas. It's on my list for Spring 14 to land on the Tatina and at least take in the splendor for a night or two. Could easily be talked into blowing the dust off my ice tools, though, and tackling one of the more "modest" routes if you are interested.

The spires are all under 8,000' but steep and world class climbing objectives.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

You know... I'm working hard to lose weight and get back into some semblance of shape (other than round). I still have all my rock and ice gear. 2014... Who knows! I can certainly think of no better place to make a comeback! 8)

So much virgin rock/ice, so little time!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Beautiful! My wife and I did a ski plane flight around Ruth Glacier in Denali Natl. Park. I looked at those mountains covered with sharp rocks, snow and ice and there were people climbing them. What were they thinking!!!
Andy
1986 MX7-180