Maule lands in Berlin and receives the key to the city!

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Maule lands in Berlin and receives the key to the city!

Post by MAU MAU »

Well, it was not quite the key to the city, but the key to the airport bathroom, and it is not the land of strudel and fraulein's, but Berlin New Hampshire.

Nothing like good old fashioned false advertisement to get a few more views!

With beautiful weather and fair skies, I decided to head north for lunch to the Berlin Regional airport in northern New Hampshire, and on the way back to stop by Bowman field in Maine where there will be a fly-in on August 24th and 25th. I had not been to either airports before and was looking forward to the adventure.

Here is my basic route starting in Portsmouth NH.

Heading due north kept me slightly east of Mount Washington where it looked rather cold. The cloud layer was at 5000' so the top of MW was in the clouds at 6600'.

I made it through the beautiful mountains and landed at Berlin Regional airport located in Milan NH. This is where I received the much needed key to the bathroom.

It was a short half mile walk into the tiny town for lunch in which I had to stroll across a bridge over the Androscoggin river.

And I finally arrived at the Luncheonette!

And ordered the Special of the Day that was not so special. And as a matter of fact, neither was the service. What! No Strudel?

On my walk back to the airport I noticed this small inn. I am not sure if they are beekeeper's or dope smoking hippies.

No bloated government here. Everything in one really small building.

And here was one of the many ski slopes awaiting its winter snow.

I made a quick stop at Bowman and then headed home to Portsmouth to end another day of fun in my fabulous Maule.

Thanks for reading!.....................Rob
Last edited by MAU MAU on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MXT-7-180A Comet

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Good, a trip report.
Thankyou.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Ah; Bowman (B10), my home field. Thanks for stopping by!
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

In 2010 as a fairly new pilot and Maule owner, Bowman Field was my first fly in that required traversing a few states. My daughter and I enjoyed the flight, the scenery and especially the people at Bowman. We made some friends and do our best to make the fly in each year. Here's a short clip landing that first trip up at Bowman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PINshc8p3UU

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Nice video Bob!

There was a rather brisk direct crosswind out of the west so I elected to land on runway 20.

I was concerned I may encounter mechanical wind if I landed on runway 2.

Are you planning on attending this year?
MXT-7-180A Comet

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

Rob
Great pics. I would love to fly to the Northeast someday. Check out Montague bikes. They have a great folding mountain bike that goes in a canvas bag and fits great great in the back of a Maule. Perfect for those .5-2 mile treks to the local restaurants. We take the back seat out and carry two of them with us.
David
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Hello David

I have checked out Montague bikes and plan to purchase one.

I need to look into any required paperwork regarding removing the back seat.

Now how about some pictures of your new craft!

Best..............Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

MAU MAU, required paperwork is here.
Remove back seat.
Overlaying rule is that it is pilots responsibility to check weight and balance before flight.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Mau Mau I'm moving my daughter into her college dorm the Friday before Bowmans fly in If the weather cooperates and all goes as planned with the move in I'll be at Bowman. In reference to removing the rear seat, Maule has a "Quick Disconnect" available I put it in my plane. Two pins and no bolts to remove, the seat can be put in or taken out in under 60 seconds. I can stuff two full size mountain bikes in the back although i have to remove the front wheels and spin the handle bars. I've since bought two Dahon folding bikes. The good: 7 speeds, easy to fold, take up minimal space, 25 pounds apiece.
The Bad: Folding pedals break, best to replace with non folding
Good for road riding or smooth dirt, probably not sturdy enough for trail riding.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

I will look into the quick disconnects and thanks for the information.

I will be purchasing a Montague and look forward to using it.
MXT-7-180A Comet

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Checked out the Montague sight, looks like a well made fold up. Tomorrow is a go for the Bowman Field (B10) fly in, Mau Mau I think two tri gear Maules on the field at the same time would be a first for Bowman

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Hello Bob -

I will unfortunately not be at Bowman. I ended up flying for work all week and the Bride and I decided to head to our house on the Maine coast for the weekend for some much needed R&R.

The weather is absolutely beautiful today so have a great time.

Please take lots of pictures and post a trip report!

Best............Rob
MXT-7-180A Comet

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

Nice trip report on BerlinMau Mau great photos,

I know mine is a repeat for you Mau Mau, but here's a Bowman trip report for the group.
River Buggy (Ray) and I got together. I'm usually the only other Maule on field, so I was surprised to have company. Ray had his newly rebuilt M4 220C and three MX7 180C's flew in , two with 180 hp fixed pitch and one 160 hp fixed pitch. The. Fly in is very low key, the people are great and the food is adequate, typically they have a campfire at night which i look forward to although this year there was a country band playing sans campfire. I have to say I was exhausted but still glad I made the trip. I did a bit of local flying, way down low and slow along the Androscogin River to Twitchells seaplane base and back and some contour flying through the mountains to Rangeley Lake and back, beautiful country. The flight to Bowman and back home was uneventful and severe clear, we stopped at Jaffrey in New Hampshire for some lobster Rolls on the way home. Unfortunately I don't have any photos, my photographer was away at college. Most of the Bowman crew will be at the Greenville International Seaplane fly in Sept 6-8. My son and I are driving up with our boat Sept 2 for some fishing and exploring and plan on joining the Bowman crew at Greenville for the festivities. Nice talking with you River Buggy, see you at Greenville.

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Thanks for the Bowman Fly-In report bobguhr. Ruth wants you to join us for lunch at Greenville down on the waterfront Friday or Saturday. Look for the license plate R&R AERO. See you there.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

That sounds great Ray. Looking forward to lunch with Ruth and yourself.