Maule Time on the Red

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Russell461
100+ Posts

Maule Time on the Red

Post by Russell461 »

More flying this past weekend with friends. Andrew and I started with breakfast over at the Sulphur Springs Red Barn Restaurant and then made our crop-dusting run north to the Red River just West of Paris, TX. Then we flew down the river towards Bonham, TX. The River had lots of water in it but we did find a few sand bars that were accessible. The landing in the video (open to criticism :o .... ) was ok but the sand was a bit deeper than I thought. The early part of the touchdown along with the cross-wind put me too far left of where I wanted to be but thankfully, the awesome 31" bushwheels and the spring gear took the brunt of the "surprise". I just had to dance quite a bit but made it without incident. From there, to Bonham to meet up with Rob and his M4 and then down to a few grass strips to play on. Enjoy !!!

Watch in 1080p !!!

http://youtu.be/kXT23pm4AcY
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That camera angle makes it look like you are landing sideways. Unique! Nice recovery!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Russell461
100+ Posts

Post by Russell461 »

crbnunit wrote:That camera angle makes it look like you are landing sideways. Unique! Nice recovery!!
Yes crbnunit...I need to tweak the camera angle a bit when mounting the GoPro out on the wing. Currently, I have simply added the mounting "spud" on the tie-down ring so it sticks out at a 90 degree angle. The angle adjustment is somewhat limited when mounting it off the 90 degree angle. I think I know a way to simply mount the spud vertical which will allow for better camera angles.

As for the landing...although I did have a crosswind coming from the right side, I was fairly straight. The real problem was not taking the wind more into consideration prior to touch down. I should have aimed more to the right side of the landing area. When I pulled back power right before touch-down, I drifted to the left which put me over in the rougher sand. I was dancing quite a bit on the rudders even before getting to the sand dune.

Fortunately for me, the tires & spring gear did their job and I kept flying the plane when I went back into the air so the outcome was nothing more than a need for a new set of underwear :lol:

The attached photo shows the spud and Contour+ mount (but my video was using the GoPro3 Black camera).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/russell461 ... 348908347/
50' DHC-2 MK1
79' C414A Chancellor
70' BAC Jet Provost Mk. 1
39' J3
YouTube Channel: russell461

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Been there. Done that! The olio's and 31's are surprisingly forgiving as well. Saved my butt more than once.

I flew out and looked at a possible cabin purchase yesterday. The owner said I could probably land "anywhere" back there. Turns out the area was logged a while back, leaving tree stumps "everywhere". I was pretty sure the gear wouldn't soak that up! Oh well, too many neighbors anyway. The search continues!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Good vid. I like the editing.

JDW

Post by JDW »

Nice video, I like how you have your double puck brakes up high 9:47 - 9:50 Wish I could have mounted mine that high.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

JD, you can mount the torque plate and caliper just like that shown.
For safety and effectiveness it is best to mount on front not rear.
To do so you need to file off the bottom front corner of the aluminium gearleg. This an approved fix and Maule has a drawing for it for legality.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide