pre-buy

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
bentmettle

pre-buy

Post by bentmettle »

Hi all-

I just put a deposit down on a plane am looking for help with a pre-buy.

thank you!
Matt
Last edited by bentmettle on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Re: central NH pre-buy

Post by norcal64d »

I didn't end up using him but another forum member recommended Paul Zanis in Moultonboro NH 5M3 to me for a prebuy. Said he did his prebuy and maintenance on his M-7 for several years.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a CFII friend who flew with a guy who owned a M4 or M6 in Franconia NH. I flew in it with him once. Chances are it's not the one that you're looking at but if you give me the tail number, I'll check with my friend. If it turns out to be the same airplane, then my friend may be able to give you some feedback.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

bentmettle

Post by bentmettle »

I’d read through the forum a bit earlier talked to Paul a bit on the phone. It was a helpful discussion but ultimately I’ll need to work with someone that can go to the plane more readily.
Last edited by bentmettle on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Franklins are good engines and these days parts aren't as hard to get from Jewett TX since the company re-formed and is now a USA company. They are rare enough that many mechanics are not familiar with them. Your biggest challenge may be to find a mechanic who has worked on them before. Overhaul sources are more limited than Lycoming or Continental but Southern Aero in SC does them. No idea what a major overhaul costs there. Franklins have a reputation for running smoother and at higher RPM than Lycomings or Continentals.
Andy
1986 MX7-180