Stringer Replacement

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
Willardj

Stringer Replacement

Post by Willardj »

Have a M5-235C. Have really enjoyed flying her for the past 3 years. In the Barn for the annual and some body work. Replacing the bottom fabric and the bottom stringer. A far to many patches on the old fabric for my liking. The sides and top are good shape. The wood in the bottom stringer had roles off to the side and some of the standoffs had rusted. I have a new Stainless Steel bottom stringer from Maul Air. It looks very nice. It came with stainless steel standoffs, cut and marked to make install easy. The challenge I am facing is finding a good and easy way to wield the Stainless standoffs to the cross braces which I assume are 4130. The wings and gear are on, so rolling the fuselage over is not the preferred option. I talked with one wielder with experience in light tubing. His recommendation was using Silicon Bronze because of lower melting temperature and less problem with blowing holes in the .035 tubing. The A&P I am working with did not like Bronze, it needs to be wielded with steel. I know this is not the first time this has happened on Maule's. Just looking for some advice

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

What did Maule Air recommend for a method to attach them?

Willardj

Post by Willardj »

They use a MIG in the factory. Am looking for options to sitting under the frame wielding overhead on thin tubing.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

This is a cosmetic rather than a structural component? I would think bronze would be fine. Not my call though.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!