Maule mechanics in Eastern Ontario

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
rv8bldr

Maule mechanics in Eastern Ontario

Post by rv8bldr »

Hey folks

I have just bought an 1979 M5-235C out in Alberta. Between work commitments and weather I can't pick it up until early April and fly it home (just west of Ottawa). Once I get it here, I'll need to find an AME (Canadian version of the A & P) who is familiar with Maules to do my annuals and the like. Any suggestions?

I'm new to this whole certified aircraft thing and it will be hard not to just jump in and do my own maintenance like I did for 13 years on my RV-8. I've got finish my scratch built 4pl Bearhawk because paying for someone to work on my airplane is going to drive me nuts :-)

Cheers all
Mark
President EAA Chapter 245
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl C-GPFG - Under Construction

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Re: Maule mechanics in Eastern Ontario

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

rv8bldr wrote:I've got finish my scratch built 4pl Bearhawk because paying for someone to work on my airplane is going to drive me nuts :-)
I’m with you, brother! I foresee mine being a looooong project, though. So, I’ll be flying this Maule for some time, I suspect.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Not sure about the rules in Canada, but in the U.S., you can work on your certified aircraft without being an A&P, as long as you have an A&P who will sign off the work. They have to be "supervising" you, but no where is this defined as them standing there looking over your shoulder. The rules do say that they need to be available to answer any questions and provide guidance. Cell phones work great for this. If you haven't already, I suggest developing a good relationship with an AME who will come to know and trust your work, giving you more and more latitude over time to handle some things yourself, with them inspecting and signing off your work. Of course, you do need to pay them something for that, but it should still save you quite a bit.

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

Hey Andy

That was going to be the plan, and I was hoping they were already familiar with Maules so that they know what to look for or how to fix unique things.

Thanks
Mark
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

If you are going to be coming across Canada with it my mechanic in thunder Bay is very familiar with the Maules, he maintains mine and at least 3 others that I am aware of, and you will more than likely be stopping there for fuel anyway. If you want let me know and I can get you his contact info.

Ian
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

Thanks, Ian

TB is going to be our overnight stop (I hope). Although I have aux tanks on the aircraft I don't have aux tanks for my bladder :-)

The plan is Lethbridge-Brandon-TB, overnight, TB-around the lake to Sudbury-Arnprior.

The aircraft is in good shape, so I don't need anything right now, but if you want to PM me his contact info (or post it here, up to you) that will be a little insurance if I have an issue

Thanks a bunch
Mark
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Kelly

Post by Kelly »

I bought my m4 from a ame that has a shop at the Gatineau airport. He owned it for many years and did a complete rebuild on it. He may take you on? Pierre Heroux is his name. Aviation H.P. Is his business name

If you stop at kenora. 807-407-2263 is my number

Kelly

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

Awesome information, Kelly, thank you!

I'll keep your number handy when I travel through your area.
Mark
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)