injured pilot

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

injured pilot

Post by gregorydshanks »

pilot severely injures leg, but after surgery and 5 months therapy, he is back to 100%.
Does he disclose the injury and treatment to his AME before he flies again, or just go back to flying and report at next medical?

Can AME clear pilot to resume flying or does it take some pinhead up the chain of command?

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Well, I'm not a doctor or a lawyer, and I didn't stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night, but....

The legs aren't subject to fail without notice such as a heart attack, stroke, drug impairment, diabetes, etc. You said 100%. Has the patient's regular medical doctor or physical therapist issued any type of "Return to Service" order? Is there anything stating that he/she is 100%. If so, I'd go fly. If not, I might still go fly if everything is working sufficiently enough to manipulate the rudder pedals.

20-odd years ago I flew with four broken bones in my ankle 11 days after I broke it, but that was in my Super Viking. The Pitts sat idle for MANY months.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

My understanding is that this comes under the "self-certification" rule, 61.53, which says that even if you have a medical, you can't fly if a current condition would make you unable to pass a medical right then and there. It doesn't say you then need to go get another medical. The implication is that when you self-ground, you can then self-certify once you are recovered, and then simply report it on your next medical.

A quick call to AOPA can give a more authoritative answer, if the pilot has their medical or legal plan add-on.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Andy is correct. Go fly
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

That is correct, an AME does not grant permission to keep flying, they only do the medical certification at time they are due or when instructed by FAA.

The pilot is responsible to make the determination as per Title 14 CFR Section 61.53

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... ohibition/

However you may want to check in with a AME prior to your next physical to see if they need any records to make your next physical go as smooth as possible.

Michael
Senior AME
1999 M7-235C

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

My understanding is that you are required to report ALL visits to a health care professional on the renewal application. The AME uses that information in his determination of your eligibility to renew.

I agree with Andy about self certification, but if there is any loss of strength or mobility I would call my AME for guidance.

Of course it all goes into the FAA database on you also, but in this case it sounds like there is nothing that would raise concern.

I went through a torn rotator cuff and 3 months of PT. Reported all of it on the next renewal and it wasn't a concern to anyone.

Kirk

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

True, you do have to report all visits at your next medical, but you self-certify in between, unless your ailment is one of those on a specific list, the name of which I can’t recall. Includes big things like cancer, seizures, etc.

pilot
100+ Posts

Re: injured pilot

Post by pilot »

gregorydshanks wrote:pilot severely injures leg, but after surgery and 5 months therapy, he is back to 100%.
Does he disclose the injury and treatment to his AME before he flies again, or just go back to flying and report at next medical?

Can AME clear pilot to resume flying or does it take some pinhead up the chain of command?
Shouldn't you of all people know this :lol:
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

why sweat it??

The Aerospace Medicine folks are pretty good on things like this.

Magic words from your Dr. " Patient recovered and able to do all normal functions." or something like that. Aerospace sends you a letter that you are cleared to have a medical, and if the one you have is current...away you go.

Mtn. Doc, do I have this about right?

Nice thing is all you have to do on the next physical is to note and state "previously reported".

So far this has worked for me through two back surgeries, a knee replacement and a cataract surgery. Working my way towards Million Dollar Man.

TD