avionics work to be done in africa

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
roucmer

avionics work to be done in africa

Post by roucmer »

I am looking for an individual or a company who could come to Cameroon, africa, to install several garmin avionics on an N registered airplane (job value more or less around $80.000)

As of now, I got a quote from Gulf Cost Avionics, but it has to be done in their shop as they do not work abroad…. And florida is quite far from where I live and fly….

Emmanuel
maule in africa

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Is that a type of work that can be accomplished by one of the "local" missionary groups? I don't know if they work for hire or only for their own activities. Just the first thing that came to mind.

~Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

What about Century Avionics in South Africa?

https://centuryavionics.co.za
M5

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

How long of a flight is it for you to go to Madagascar? My Maule spent 27 years there and I couldn't be happier about the condition of the airplane or the logs as they were cared for by Madagascar Aviation. I know....Crazy.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I know Emmanuel is biting his tongue on our replies. One thing we take for granted in the US is avgas. It is not as available overseas as it is here. Madagascar (or South Africa for that matter) is 3000 miles requiring a Maule with auxiliary tanks to make 4 fuel stops which could be in hostile territory along the way. I know I'm naive but it occurs to me there is a significant GA industry in most of the African continent and that a simple internet search could pull up suitable avionics shops worth giving a try. The Missionary Aviation community as Chris suggested would be an excellent source of good information and at least a place to start for referrals, etc.
M5

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

I’m checking with a Missionary buddy in Nairobi. Hopefully he’ll have an answer for you. Stand by...
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Hi Emmanuel,

I got in touch with my missionary friend in Nairobi, and he said they do outside work. If you PM me your contact information, I’ll relay it to him, and he’ll get it to his base manager and see if they can help you get it done.

Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

roucmer

Post by roucmer »

thanks guys for your help

If I can not get somebody to come overhere to do the job, I will fly to europe...

South Africa is not my prefered location for doing aviation work....

As for missionaries, they most of the time get outside contractors coming for avionic installations. But so far, I did not find any avionic shop body interested by my plane :)
maule in africa

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Hi Emmanuel,

I sent your contact info to my friend in Nairobi. I hope they can fund a way to help!

Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A