Maule CFI needed Wilkesboro, NC (UKF)

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
ccsmith51

Maule CFI needed Wilkesboro, NC (UKF)

Post by ccsmith51 »

I purchased a 1980 M-5-180C. I need an hour of dual for insurance purposes.

The open pilot section of my policy requires: "Any Private or more advanced pilot who has 500 hours as Pilot in Command, 100 hours in tailwheel aircraft and at least 25 hours in this make and model aircraft."

Is there a CFI in the area that meets those requirements that could travel to UKF to give me that dual?

Or, is there someone within 100 miles or so that can give me an hour dual in an M-5-180C? If a different model, I can contact the insurance company and see if that would work.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

Congrats on the purchase. You won't regret it. Let the fun begin. BTW, excellent choice on year and model. See signature line and avatar below.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If you didn't need a CFI, I could do it. I'm based at KMRN not too far from you.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Might be able to if insurance will accept time in M-6 235 and M-7 260.

ccsmith51

Post by ccsmith51 »

andy wrote:If you didn't need a CFI, I could do it. I'm based at KMRN not too far from you.
Thanks, Andy, but the policy says: "Prior to solo flight Chris must receive 1 hour of dual flight instruction in this make and model aircraft with a CFI who meets the open pilot clause below or is approved/named on the policy."

Gotta be a CFI...

ccsmith51

Post by ccsmith51 »

gbarrier wrote:Might be able to if insurance will accept time in M-6 235 and M-7 260.
Sent you a PM. Thanks!!

ccsmith51

Post by ccsmith51 »

Thanks to all that replied. I found a local instructor that gave me my hour dual. Now to learn all I can about flying a Maule! I have about 750 TT and 600 TW, so I hope my learning curve is not too long.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Congratulations and welcome aboard!

Maule floats like a manhole cover so be ready with power near touchdown and get the elevator gap seals. Get the parts DVD from Maule as it is the best way to get familiar with your aircraft.

Lots of great info regarding flying technique and experience here.
M5

ccsmith51

Post by ccsmith51 »

DeltaRomeo wrote:Congratulations and welcome aboard!

Maule floats like a manhole cover so be ready with power near touchdown and get the elevator gap seals. Get the parts DVD from Maule as it is the best way to get familiar with your aircraft.

Lots of great info regarding flying technique and experience here.
Gap seals installed. And yes, it does float like a manhole cover! I had an RV-6 with O-360 and CSP, and it was kinda the same. With full flaps and about 65 MPH, it came down like a rock!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Congrats Chris. Glad you got squared away. Looking forward to meeting you in person and talking heavy duty Maule.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Congratz on the new bird Chris! If your not doing anything the weekend of the 22-24th Sept, the Maule Homecoming is that weekend and we'd love to have you visit. Maybe you can drag some of those NC yahoos along. 8)

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

What you mean Yahoo's?

Can't seen to even get this crowd together for BBQ.

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

gbarrier wrote:What you mean Yahoo's?

Can't seen to even get this crowd together for BBQ.
Ain't that the truth. It does seem like pulling teeth, haha.
Congratz on the new bird Chris! If your not doing anything the weekend of the 22-24th Sept, the Maule Homecoming is that weekend and we'd love to have you visit. Maybe you can drag some of those NC yahoos along.
yahoo, GUILTY as charged!!

CCSmith51 , I plan on going to Moultrie that weekend with 42Z. Tag along if you'd like. I'm flying out of KIPJ lincolnton NC

congrats on the new purchase and finding MAULE PILOTS FORUM. This place is the information mecca for Maules.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

ccsmith51

Post by ccsmith51 »

Duane wrote:Congratz on the new bird Chris! If your not doing anything the weekend of the 22-24th Sept, the Maule Homecoming is that weekend and we'd love to have you visit. Maybe you can drag some of those NC yahoos along. 8)
Thanks everyone!! Love the new bird, not many hours yet because of weather. Hopefully a couple hours tomorrow cruising around the area.

I will probably have family here that weekend, but if not, I'll do my best to get down there.