Maule CFI in P.A.

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
carlson777

Maule CFI in P.A.

Post by carlson777 »

Good evening All,
I have recently purchased a Maule M5 and new to flying(as a pilot). Have been into big iron for many years as a Flight Mechanic and I figured it was time to enjoy flying myself (instead of sitting in the 1st observers seat). I know I have been hearing it "Why a tail dragger?" I say all of our first pilots from the beginning days of Aviation flew tail draggers! Just curious if anyone knows of a good Maule CFI in northwestern P.A.? If I can't find one I will go to Maultrie and see Ray. I am very excited about being part of the General Aviation and Maule community!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Welcome aboard, and a fine choice of aircraft you have made.
Which model of M5 do you have. There are 7 engine choices.
Highly recommended is to make absolutely sure the landing gear bolts, and especially the upper oleo bolts have been updated and properly torqued before next landing.
Congratulations and safe flying to you.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

carlson777

Maule CFI in P.A.

Post by carlson777 »

The M5 is equipped with a 180hp O360. The noted bolts have been replaced at every annual by previous owner (May 2011 recent annual) I like his thought of bolts are cheep in the big picture! If you are there to inspect and re-torque, why not replace. There is no doubt I will carry the "It has to be right" attitude I have had in my 25yrs of aircraft maintenance to keeping my own aircraft in top notch airworthy condition! Thanks for any advise you all have, my ears and eyes are wide open! I can help with any big iron like a B777 if any advise is needed!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Next, check for missing baffles inside the mufflers and be sure the tailpipes are attached loose enough to move in all directions as engine rotates on its mounts, yet their weight is carried by the firewall straps.
By the way, whats that thingummy near the whatchamacallit on the B777 rolling bogey by the placard that says "no hitchhikers"?
The M5-180C is a perfect taildragger to learn to fly in. Responsive, versatile and and not too expensive to operate.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

carlson777

Maule CFI in P.A.

Post by carlson777 »

Thanks Jeremy, I will checkout the exhaust as advised. I knew there was a good reason to join this site! You must be talking about the main gear steering actuator on the triple 7. yeah that was a SB to add the no hitch hiker placard to the gear doors. lol

Brian

flyseneca

Post by flyseneca »

Brian--

I am located in Quakertown (UKT--near Allentown) but given the fact you will need a complete course for the ASEL I believe that is too far. You are correct in seeking a CFI with a good bit of Maule experience. I have given instruction in a decent number of taildraggers, but as a Maule owner I can assure you that Maule experience is important in a CFI.

If you have problems finding someone send me a private message and I will see if I can help find a closer guy or gal.

Skip Guimond
Skip Guimond

m-4-235

Post by m-4-235 »

Hi carlson777
I see you are from Kane PA. I'm originally from St.Marys. I now live north of Allentown PA and fly out of Beltzville Airport. We have lots of Maule drivers there. I'll be there tomorrow burning some 100ll in my M-4. I'll be sure to ask if anyone has the time to help you out.

Mike Mac

Post by Mike Mac »

I noticed 2 posts from the PA area which are almost a year old....so here goes...I am considering the purchase of an MXT-235 in the PIT area...any known good Maule A&P's that I can hire to look the plane over if I elect to make an offer on it ?

Thks

Mike McLoaf
Mike Mac
Islamorada, FL

Mike Mac

Post by Mike Mac »

I noticed 2 posts from the PA area which are almost a year old....so here goes...I am considering the purchase of an MXT-235 in the PIT area...any known good Maule A&P's that I can hire to look the plane over if I elect to make an offer on it ?

Thks

Mike McLoad
Mike Mac
Islamorada, FL

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Hello Mike, I can't help you with the A&P search. It can help regarding the Maule models.
The MXT frame has the 180hp and comes with fixed pitch prop or constant speed prop. MXT7-180A and MXT7-180.
The MT frame has 235 or 260hp and only constant speed prop
MT7-235 and MT7-260.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mike Mac

Post by Mike Mac »

Thks Jeremy !

My brain sometimes gets the MT and MXT confused.....I am thinking of a nose picker.....I am way too old to start learning to fly a TD especially in Marathon where we have only one runway and pretty breezy crosswinds a great deal of time...besides that my wife wants to learn to fly and no use putting her thru the TD routine.

Thks again

Mike
Mike Mac
Islamorada, FL