Maule Instructor List

Finding a qualified Maule instructor and mechanic in your area. Recommendations, requests etc... Please mention graphic location
Dwayne777MX7

Michael Dickinson Great Instructor!

Post by Dwayne777MX7 »

Based in NW Arkansas, I just received 15 hours of dual for insurance purposes from Michael Dickinson of Moultrie, GA, including a BFR and Tail Wheel Endorsement, after reading about him on this forum. I couldn't be more pleased with his professionalism and knowledge of Maules. He's located on the same ramp as the Maule factory and worked in the factory in the 90s, as well as for his father who worked in the factory in the 70s before starting his own related business. He's a (CFI) flight instructor for single engine land & sea, commercial single sea & land, multi land instrument pilot. He also holds an A&P mechanics license with an inspection authorization (IA).

We flew our Maule there from Jackson MS where we purchased it with Michael coming up to help with a maint. acceptance inspection, and adult supervision for the flight to Maule land. While waiting for a time I could complete my training, Michael did an annual for our plane, saving some valuable time and money.

The training environment at Moultrie couldn't be better with plenty of uncontrolled grass and paved strips for practice. I was there for a week and found the hotel, restaurants, and town's folks to be extremely agreeable. Even got a tour of the factory where my Maule was born.

As a former airline and military pilot, I whole heartedly recommend Michael Dickinson as an excellent Maule instructor! :) [229-891-8378 mobile]

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

Welcome aboard Dwayne.
Pictures/description of the new plane?
Greg
1980 M5-180C

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Re: Michael Dickinson Great Instructor!

Post by MauleMechanic »

Dwayne777MX7 wrote:Based in NW Arkansas, I just received 15 hours of dual for insurance purposes from Michael Dickinson of Moultrie, GA, including a BFR and Tail Wheel Endorsement, after reading about him on this forum. I couldn't be more pleased with his professionalism and knowledge of Maules. He's located on the same ramp as the Maule factory and worked in the factory in the 90s, as well as for his father who worked in the factory in the 70s before starting his own related business. He's a (CFI) flight instructor for single engine land & sea, commercial single sea & land, multi land instrument pilot. He also holds an A&P mechanics license with an inspection authorization (IA).

We flew our Maule there from Jackson MS where we purchased it with Michael coming up to help with a maint. acceptance inspection, and adult supervision for the flight to Maule land. While waiting for a time I could complete my training, Michael did an annual for our plane, saving some valuable time and money.

The training environment at Moultrie couldn't be better with plenty of uncontrolled grass and paved strips for practice. I was there for a week and found the hotel, restaurants, and town's folks to be extremely agreeable. Even got a tour of the factory where my Maule was born.

As a former airline and military pilot, I whole heartedly recommend Michael Dickinson as an excellent Maule instructor! :) [229-891-8378 mobile]
Where is the thumbs up smiley?

akairborne

Pre Buy in ANC area

Post by akairborne »

Does anyone know an A&P familiar with Maules in the Anchorage/Mat-SU area available to do a short-notice pre-buy?

Thanks

Mike

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Fairbanks, AK instructor?

Post by Undaunted »

I just purchased a M7-235C with essentially no tailwheel time. I have been flying a Cirrus SR22 and now making the move to what I really want to fly. I have found a high time tailwheel instructor locally here in WI but unfortunately no Maule experience. Now it looks like I will be working for about 2 weeks in Fairbanks in June. I am looking for someone there to do Maule tailwheel training in their plane (mine will remain in WI while I am up north).

Any Suggestions?
1999 M7-235C

JW

Post by JW »

I am new here ,this is my second post
I started flying in 2006
All of my time was in a diamond 20 for 40-50 hours and then a cirrus 20 for 600
Last fall I bought a 88 m-6 235 and am having more fun than ever
My instructor had some maule time but it was years ago. What he did have was gobs of current tailwheel time and patience. After about 10-15 hours and plenty of crosswind stuff we both felt comfortable with the sign off.
My opinion is 200 hours of tailwheel time in the last year trumps 500 hours of maule time 10 years ago.
I don't think I could wait till June if I just bought one of the most exciting planes out there.
1988 M6-235 5670T

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

JW,
Thanks for the good advice. I think I am following what you propose as I am training with the instructor I mentioned, weather has kept us down the past week, now looking at another 5 days of storms. Did get up yesterday for he first time...this definitely puts a smile on my face. I will continue training but don't want to miss out on flying just because I am out of the area. Thought training in make/model would be a plus.
MJ
1999 M7-235C

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

JW wrote: My opinion is 200 hours of tailwheel time in the last year trumps 500 hours of maule time 10 years ago.
I'll take the over-all 10 year experience in a Maule then 200 hours in just any taildragger......That's why a lot of Maules get broke.....

Only Perfect practice makes Perfect! :wink:

mx180a

Instructor needed

Post by mx180a »

Looking for an instructor in north central FL for insurance checkout
Thanks,
Bob

cleach

great instructor

Post by cleach »

I just purchased a '96 Maule M4 and had the factory in Moultrie do the annual. The factory recommended Michael Dickinson from Moultrie (CESMAULE@gmail.com). Man were they right. I have been flying for 39 years and Michael is the best instructor I have ever had. He will put you through the paces and no one even at Maule knows Maules better than Michael. He is also a very nice guy. Spend the travel money and go to Moultrie for lessons.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

May want to call him first.. Michael is my lil brother. He busted his wrist recently and may be unavailable for a little bit.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Duane wrote:May want to call him first.. Michael is my lil brother. He busted his wrist recently and may be unavailable for a little bit.
Been calling him "Crip" for the past few days :P

KYLE

Post by KYLE »

Just got back from Cut Bank, MT where Rick Geiger from Montana By Air gave me much needed training for my M4. Rick is very professional and full of useful knowledge.
I can highly recommend anyone going out that way to look Rick up and get a few hours in his Maule or yours!
His endorsement in my log book actually got me a lower rate on my insurance!!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I second the view that Maule tailwheel time is not the same as generic tailwheel time. You wouldn't want someone with 200 hours in a J3 within the last year and no time in a M7-235 as an instructor in a M7-235.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

crhannay

M7-260C

Post by crhannay »

I need a CFI to get me the 2 hours my insurance company requires and to ride with me from Northern Wisconsin to Afton, Wyoming. I do ultimately want to take more instruction from George Kirkish. There are a couple of CFIs listed in Montana which might be good choices for me. I will also check with the Aviat Factory here in Afton and see if they know of any CFIs with M7-260 time.
A lot of the contact info is out dated so any updated contact info would be most appreciated.
Help
Curt Hannay
crhannay@hotmail.com