High Sierra

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

High Sierra

Post by Flyhound »

OK, lots of pictures and write-ups on BCP and Facebook, but silence on the Maule Forum when it comes to the High Sierra Fly-In. I saw more than a dozen Maules on the Dead Cow dry lake bed with everything from extended gear and big bushwheels/tires to a couple with what looked like 6.00 tires. It really doesn't matter on the dry lakebed. Tire size and pressure only come in to play if you are exploring some of the less smooth areas around Dead Cow. Anyway, it was a large gathering with lots of different aircraft and high energy. I heard a lot of non-aviators (and there were a BUNCH there) talking about getting their pilots license, so the gathering is good for GA. It isn't my cup of tea anymore because I've come to prefer that my desert fly-ins be quiet and dark so I can enjoy the emptiness. High Sierra is neither quiet nor dark. It is a really good time for folks looking for a celebration in the wild. Some mornings were sublime, others were nasty (weather-wise). Landing in remote spots always involves a roll of the dice for weather. Surprisingly, I actually had cell coverage out on the playa and that was a first for me.

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Thanks for sharing. I don't spend much time on BCP or FB so glad to see some info about the event here.
I wouldn't mind checking it out one year and think I would probably enjoy the flight there and back equally as much as the event itself.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Andrew: Like you, the flight there (from Washington State) and back was as good, or better than the actual gathering on Dead Cow. I didn't think my trip would be of much general interest, but since you mentioned it, here are some of those shots.

Clouds around the Olympic Mountains at the start of my trip

The Willamette National Forest

The Sisters (mountains) and Clear Lake

Extinct Volcanoes near Santiam Pass

Violent winds and weather over Summer Lake on the return trip

North of Madras, OR

Apple & Pear orchards along the Colmbia River Gorge turning colors

Mount Adams after 3 days of heavy snow

The Columbia River Gorge with 40 knots of wind on my nose.

Shot of my GPS showing 64 knots over the ground when the airspeed was 110 knots
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Thanks for sharing

Post by HeavyLoad »

Great photos.
I saw your Maule there. I was one of the M5's that was there. Had a good time at HSF this year even with the high winds on Saturday. And I agree about the quietness. We had the same weather coming back through the hood river that you did.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos to share.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

Heavy Load, sorry I missed you there. I came in for just the day on Friday. I would have liked to meet you. There were a few Maules out there. Talked with a couple of them. Hope to see more of you out there next year.
No great story started with a good idea...

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Flyhound wrote:Andrew: Like you, the flight there (from Washington State) and back was as good, or better than the actual gathering on Dead Cow. I didn't think my trip would be of much general interest, but since you mentioned it, here are some of those shots.
Very nice!
Will need to plan for a visit up that way one year as well as Dead Cow.
At a local fly-in a couple weeks ago someone asked if I had been at any of the major events around the country recently and when I answered "no" it made me realize I need to stretch my legs out from time to time.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

I wouldn't mind doing it at least once but really don't want to arrive isolated among strangers; flying out with a couple (or more) Lonestar Maulers would make it a lot more appealing to me. With our payload capabilities if we planned it together we could arrive with everything we needed for the duration of the event.
M5