San Antonio Area

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Undaunted
100+ Posts

San Antonio Area

Post by Undaunted »

Any Maules in the San Antonio, TX area?

I may be headed there for several months of work. Wondering if there are any others in the immediate area?

Also any recommendations on airports/hangers in the area. Not sure yet if the M7 is coming along, but looking into it.

Thanks
Michael
1999 M7-235C

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

You got Mack Wardlaw out west around Sonora, Chad Breuer up in Lampassas, Dave Roland in/around Lockhart and probably some others I don't know.
TJ Van Matre

Stinger
100+ Posts

Re: San Antonio Area

Post by Stinger »

Undaunted wrote:Any Maules in the San Antonio, TX area?

I may be headed there for several months of work. Wondering if there are any others in the immediate area?

Also any recommendations on airports/hangers in the area. Not sure yet if the M7 is coming along, but looking into it.

Thanks
Michael
I was in Corpus Christi for a couple years, lots of nice flying opportunities in south Texas. Navy and Air Force trainers are everywhere down there, use flight following as much as you can. Not sure what the SAT area is like for hangar availability, but if it's anything like Corpus you should start calling around now.

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

Take a look at Stinson Airfield. Its in the south end of SA, with plenty of tie downs.
Its a popular general aviation airport to avoid the congestion of the international airport.
https://www.sanantonio.gov/SSF

The weather in South Texas is mild compared to the northern states, so outside tie downs aren't as ominous as some parts of the country. Since it's a short stay you might find someone who would let you park in their hanger for awhile.

There's a large group of Maule owners in Texas. You can find them at
https://www.lonestarmaules.com/
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Scouring AirNav will familiarize you with whats in the area that may be convenient for the vicinity you'll be in. There is an ultralight field that is a piece of cake for a Maule that might be an option that is between New Braunfels and San Antonio. I think New Braunfels even has a couple spots under the hail sheds, too.

We're waiting for the mud to solidify before we get to go anywhere. :(

By all means, give us a shout when you head this way or if you need someone local to do some legwork for options you are exploring. Would be glad to help.
Last edited by DeltaRomeo on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
M5

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Thanks for the replies! I will look into the airfields and see what I can come up with. I will be at Ft Sam Houston which looks like it has decent access to most of the locations mentioned.

Due to storms and UV I would not likely just do a tie down with no protection.

I will definitely try to make it to Llano for the fly in and reach out to some of you when in TX.

Thanks!
1999 M7-235C