Northeast Washington/North Idaho: Where to go Tomorrow?

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Northeast Washington/North Idaho: Where to go Tomorrow?

Post by Andy Young »

Hi guys,

I'm in Spokane for a visit, and wanted to take my friend out for a fun flight this weekend. Somewhere beautiful, hopefully with some hiking. I had thought Idaho backcountry, like Fish Lake, Moose Lake, or maybe Snake River area. However, weather looks poor in that area tomorrow. Also thought about going to look at my land in Mazama, but weather looks less than stellar that way tomorrow too. It's going to be nice up around Priest Lake area and other places north and northeast of Spokane. Sullivan Lake, Washington is another one that looks like an option.

Was just wondering if any of you familiar with the area know of any great spots I hadn't thought of, given the weather constrictions.

Thanks!

super-maule

Snow at higher elevations

Post by super-maule »

Hello,

I'm in Spokane this week, but will be flying my Maule back to Clear Creek International located in N. Central Idaho tomorrow morning. Anyway the snow level is down to about 5,500 to 6,000 feet right now. Fish Lake would be a no-go. Went chucker hunting in Hells Canyon last week and it was windy but clear. Rifle season starts October 10th.

Good luck,

James

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks for the heads-up on Fish Lake. We ended up braving the winds in central Washington and going to Mazama. We went up high (10,500') and got into nice, smooth air. Was blowing 15-20 kts on landing, so not too bad, and right down the runway.
Even got tailwinds both ways (went low on the way back). Co-pilot flew all the way both ways (except for take-off and landing) which we have found is a great preventative to getting sick.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Too bad you didn't get to spend some time on the west side of the Cascades. Winds are typically calmer here, and temperatures a bit more moderate (both on the hot and the cold ends of the thermometer). This country has some magnificent flying destinations. Here's hoping you get to visit a bunch more on your way home. Gastons on the White River in Arkansas is always a must stop for me when I fly across the country.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yeah, I have flown around that area too, quite a bit. Just not in the cards for this trip. I'm heading to Colorado, so no where near as far east as Gaston's.