Alaska via the Highway

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
snaproll

Alaska via the Highway

Post by snaproll »

Another Alaska thread? Sorry, but yes.

Three airplanes are headed from Arkansas to AK mid July - two Maules and a C170/180. What I'm working on right now is the flight through Canada. I have a few specific questions but would welcome any additional tribal knowledge from those of you who live or fly in that area. The expanse of the Yukon Territory is awesome and a little daunting.

We're planning on crossing the border at Cut Bank and clearing in Lethbridge, then flying up to the highway via Calgary, Edmonton, and Dawson Creek. Then up the highway to Beaver Creek and clear in Northway.

We'd like to camp and fish along the way and find lodging with a shower every three days or so.

Specific questions:
  • It looks like there is no dependable fuel from Erik Nielsen, Yukon to Gulkana, AK, about 360 miles. Is this correct or have I missed a fuel stop along this route?
    I find information that Watson Lake, Yukon has fuel and find other sources that say it doesn't. Anyone know for sure?
    CFY5 (Pine Lake at Daughney, Yukon) looks like a potential spot for camping. I'm from the land of private property and very protective land owners. Can we camp pretty much anywhere that is government land? Any thoughts on good camping spots along this route?
    I'm a little freaked out about the whole bear situation. What's the real scoop? Aside from bear spray and keeping our food far away from the camp site, what precautions do we need to take while camping?
    Any great lodging along the route that we shouldn't miss?
We're planning to spend most of our flying time in AK around the Wrangells so I'll have questions about that as well. But first I'd like to have a better feel for the trip through Canada. Thanks.

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

Plan on an over night stop in Cut Bank. Showers, sleeping rooms, courtesy car, internet and help with eAPIS. I don't think you can enter Canada with bear spray. With the right paper work you can take a shotgun no hand guns.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

We really need to plan a Maule get together this summer...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

rev412

bear spray

Post by rev412 »

Unless the rules have changed in the past few years, bear spray is allowed in Canada. What's not allowed is pepper spray intended for use against humans. Yes, as the nice customs officer in Ontario confirmed, the only difference is how the can is labelled.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Seriously...bear protection is the very least of your worries. I wouldn't even add it to the list for the trip up. (You can buy a can in Tok once is Alaska.) There is fuel in Watson Lake (and it's a good camping airport), Whitehorse, and Tok Alaska. Nearer the start of your journey, Rocky Mountain House makes a nice stop. Last time I was there, fuel was still on the "honor system." Grand Prairie is another good fuel stop.

The Wrangells are awesome and there is GREAT airplane camping there with public use cabins available on a first come basis. Not only are the cozy, but they make dealing with the food/bears issue much easier. Go on the NPS website to learn more about the cabin system.

Have fun. That's a classic trip.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I've done the trip between Alaska and the lower 48 more times than I can count, but only been the Alaska Highway route once. I usually end up doing some combination of the Cassiar route and the coast, or some other made-up routing, but west of the Rockies in any case. BatMaule is correct on all counts, including the bear issues. If you decide to pick a route on the west side of the Rockies, let me know and We'll see what info I can help with.

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Thanks everyone so far. Keep it coming.

(BatMaule, The aerobatic box at Rocky Mountain House is one of the nicest I've ever seen).

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Have been down the "highway". Airports are well spaced. Spot tracker followed the whole time. Don't worry about the bears...Mosquitos....? Should have left the shotgun and ammo and taken equivalent weight in deet!
Let Freedom Prevail

Nick

Post by Nick »

I live in Calgary so I will give you a little AB/BC flight info,
If you are planning to come through Cutback to Calgary, bypass Lethbridge and make your point of entry Springbank (CYBW) its only a short hop from Cutback (1.5hrs) and they have a fancy new customs clearance center and a restaurant. If you’re feeling adventurous try Del-Bonita/Whetstone INTL, grass strip right on the border, one wing in Canada the other in US, very friendly customs officers.
If you don't plan on seeing the sights of Calgary I would head up to Rocky Mtn House, very GA friendly airport and chance of a curtesy car. From RMH fly NW over Edson and up to Grande Prairie. From Grande Prairie head to Dawson Creek then Hudson Hope and into the Williston Trench, follow that up to Fort Graham Airport (Finlay River Outfitters http://www.finlayriveroutfitters.com) great gravel strip with some rustic accommodations and great bull trout fishing. From here you would intersect Watson Lake YT and onward to Alaska.
If you are planning to see the sights around Calgary drop me a PM and will give you some local knowledge.
Cheers
Nick

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

We're on it. If you'd like to follow along you can follow us at ar2ak.com

Thanks for the help everyone who contributed.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Be aware of the heavy smoke due to lots of BC being on fire.