Idaho trip

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
andy
Site Admin

Idaho trip

Post by andy »

Here's a link to a blog for my Idaho trip that starts tomorrow. I'll try to post pictures and a travelogue each night.

Andy's Flying Blog
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Happy Travels. Blue up, Green down.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Have fun Andy I look forward to the pictures and stories.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

redneck

Post by redneck »

Sorry I wasn't able to make it up before your launch. Hope you and the rest of your NC gang make it to the Maule Fly-in.
Roger
M5-180C

JimD

Post by JimD »

Safe travels.. looking forward to your updates.. :D :D
Jim D
1984 M5-180C

So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

multimauler

Post by multimauler »

I've been reading your blog. Wish I was headed up with you. Thanks for sharing.
David
2007 C182T
2011 M6-235
1965 PA-18-150

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

It's been great following along, I'll get out there one day...

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The trip to Idaho is over and the blog is pretty much finished unless I find some errors or omissions. I posted some links to YouTube videos of the back country flying. I should have tilted the GoPro camera up more so you could see ahead better with the nose low since every takeoff involved lowering the nose after lift-off to accelerate in ground effect. Even so, the videos do a good job of showing the most interesting terrain, approach routes, landings, takeoffs and departure routes. I have a lot more video footage but it's mostly canyon flying and takes a long time to upload to YouTube without adding much more information.

Andy's Flying Blog
Andy
1986 MX7-180

MizzouMaule

Post by MizzouMaule »

Andy, I enjoyed following your blog the last couple weeks. Great information. Hope you make it to the Maule owners' fly in at Moultrie in a couple weeks!
Bill
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

stvnnelson

Post by stvnnelson »

I enjoyed following you blog. You passed just south of our place when on your way to Helena, Mt.
We will be flying our M6 back East 1st of October from MT.. Plan on Maine then down the coast to Williamsburg, VA. then straight to Jackson Mississippi. Might pass close to Hickory on that leg.
Two week trip.
Steve

abadasher

Post by abadasher »

andy wrote:The trip to Idaho is over and the blog is pretty much finished unless I find some errors or omissions...

Andy's Flying Blog
Andy... I enjoyed your blog. I live in Idaho and am always grateful that I can just gas up and go to some great places for the day.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I still have fond memories of my 2016 Idaho trip. The trip from NC to Idaho and back wasn't particularly memorable - just long and expensive. In 2012 I flew commercially to Boise, rented a car and drove to McCall ID. I rented Lori MacNichol's Super Cub for the 4 day mountain/canyon flying seminar. In 2016 I did 2 days of individual refresher training with her instructor, Gary, in my Maule. If I do it again, I'll probably repeat the 2012 method of transportation to avoid 8 extra days of flying to and from Idaho. I had two days of weather delays each way so it took me 5 days there and 5 days back. When you travel that far, you are bound to encounter weather along the way.

I just finished 3 weeks in New Zealand, of which 8 days was flying a Cessna 172 around the South Island. I'm still working on organizing the photos and videos and I'll put a link on the forum when I'm done. For those who haven't been to New Zealand, it one of the most beautiful places that I've ever been, especially from the air. Take a look at Flyinn New Zealand.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

P.S. They really know how to make coffee in NZ. I'm hooked on their "flat whites", which they claim to have created no matter what Starbucks says.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

andy wrote:P.S. They really know how to make coffee in NZ. I'm hooked on their "flat whites", which they claim to have created no matter what Starbucks says.
That reminds me of a very funny coffee story I have from my time in N.Z. I fear that it might stretch the bounds of propriety for this site; not wanting to get myself banned (or at least shunned) I guess I’ll keep it to my myself. Thanks for the reminder, though. :-)

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

andy wrote:P.S. They really know how to make coffee in NZ. I'm hooked on their "flat whites", which they claim to have created no matter what Starbucks says.
That reminds me of a very funny coffee story I have from my time in N.Z. I fear that it might stretch the bounds of propriety for this site; not wanting to get myself banned (or at least shunned) I guess I’ll keep it to my myself. Thanks for the reminder, though. :-)