Florida tour...

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Dorian Crook

Florida tour...

Post by Dorian Crook »

Hello there. I'm a Maule MXT7 owner from the UK and I'm going to do some touring for 4 days in Florida from 18-24 February. Looks like we're going to rent a C172 from Daytona Beach. I couldn't find anywhere to rent a Maule within striking distance of Orlando.
Apart from that,I'm looking for recommendations for places to stop. We're going to Destin and possibly down to Punta Gorda. But apart from that -no plans. We'd like a couple of recommendations of friendly airfields where we can get some lunch halfway through the day, and for the nightstops, somewhere where the hotels aren't too far from the airfield. I would probably avoid the bigger, airline network airports, although I wouldn't rule that out. (Air Traffic Controller by profession, but whether they'll understand my accent is another matter!). Oh, and we like looking at old airplane wrecks. Any recommendations welcome. Thanks, Dorian

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

It's been a long time since I was last there but you might try Cedar Key on the gulf good sea food and I think they still have a hotel there. If you come the week of april 5-10 there is the Sun n Fun flyin in Lakeland. St Augustine is quaint nice beaches and the first settlement in the New World. I'm sure some of the locals (Florida)will have more info.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I second Cedar Key. Last I was there the local cab still monitored Unicom and was there to pick us up right away. Good food, a few basic motels there.

Everglades City has the Everglades National Park right next door. A boat tour can be done that is pretty good. Bikes available for rent, decent food in 'town'.

Chalet Suzanne for an upscale dining and, if you like, lodging. Never been there but it has tempted me.

Not sure if River Ranch still does rodeo nights. They used to do such and OK barbecue etc. Lodging available there as well.

Kirk

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Oh hell, may I state the obvious? If you are this close might as well stop in and see us at the factory.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

If you like old airplane wrecks you should really stop by and see my M5 project.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

gregorydshanks
100+ Posts

Florida

Post by gregorydshanks »

I second Duane on a factory trip being absolutely necessary. If you are flying the coast, it is only an hour diversion. If you spend the night in Moultrie, there are some suprisingly good restaurants in the little downtown.

Just a couple of miles from the Destin/Fort Walton Beach airport is the Eglin Air Force Base Museum. This is a must stop for any pilot.

I can also recommend spending the night in Apalachicola. Good airport, 3-4 miles to town, good non-touristy seafood restaurants, and several hotels. Very small but well maintained little town with some nice shopping, and one of the best brewpubs I have ever encountered.

After leaving there, about 10 miles to the east is Dog Island, a small island with some houses and the only access is by ferry or plane. It has a nice little grass/sand strip. Nothing to see when you get there, but a fun place to land just to say you have. It is technically private, but owned by the state. In the winter, there are only a couple living there, and usually no airplanes parked. Just make sure you put the obligatory $10 in the box.

From there, Cedar Key is just a couple of hour away, but all along the coast from Destin to Cedar Key, there are numerous, VERY active MOA's so make sure you have flight following. If you fly along the coast on the water side, you can skim along quite low (dare I say 500') and enjoy looking at the houses.

Cedar Key's runway is deceptive, it is very wide so the site picture is deceiving.

Crystal River is along your route of flight between Cedar Key and Tampa. I've never stayed there, but the little town is supposed to be a good place to stay for the nature experience. Here is a link to the FBO
http://crystalaerogroup.com/crystal.

Have fun.

BamaMaule

Post by BamaMaule »

If you make it as far west as Pensacola, the Naval Air Museum is one of the best around. It's also the home of the Blue Angels.
Greg
1980 M5-180C

LT4247
100+ Posts

Re: Florida tour...

Post by LT4247 »

Half way from Daytona to Destin?

1 - Appalachicola - KAAF
Excellent seafood, rich in history, good B & B places if you want to overnight.

2 - Maule plant - KMUL
Yeah, as others suggested, you will be so close so why not?
Call the day before so they will be expecting you.

---------

While in Destin get over to Pensacola and go to the NAS to see the Naval Flight museum. It is world renowned.

NOTE:
As mentioned above, this area has abundant MOA and RESTRICTED areas.
If you go IFR it will basically be a route to Crestview and then turn left.
If VFR, just plan the same with radar service. LOTS of helo traffic and fast movers (most likely you never see the F22s :wink:). This puts you safely between the USAF bases to the South and Army helicopter bases to the North.
Take a look at the sectional, you'll see.

Jacksonville Center, Eglin Approach, and Pensecola Approach are very good and do a good job of working you in and out.

Have a good trip!
Dorian Crook wrote:We'd like a couple of recommendations of friendly airfields where we can get some lunch halfway through the day, and for the nightstops, somewhere where the hotels aren't too far from the airfield.
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

If you find yourself heading down the coast to Punta Gorda, check out St. Petersburg - Whitted (KSPG) if looking for a meal. They have a nice restaurant on the field, we dropped in for dinner last August and really enjoyed it.

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

St. Augustine is worth a visit if into historical stuff (not aviation)

It's also fairly compact as a town.

Edison stuff in Fort Myers well worth a visit, if you're at all technical.

Derek, ps pm sent

Dorian Crook

Post by Dorian Crook »

Thanks everybody for your generous time and suggestions... listen out for us on the radio!