We are big time now

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Well, looks like I'm not making the chart :(

RICHMOND PLANTATION

Existing grass runway 11/29,

2,300 ft. total length

Forrest Hill, LA 31-03-10.10N 92-37-55.60W 150

We have completed an airspace analysis of the proposed private use airport. As studied, the location is approximately 6 nautical miles Southeast of Forrest Hill, LA.

* Use of this airport is restricted to the following 1. Day/VFR only 2. Use by owner or with owner's permission. 3. Operations at this airport are highly challenging due to the vegetation height at runway ends and obstacle penetration on the 20:1 approach slope for utility and visual runways. Operations can be conducted safely by a pilot with the appropriate experience and equipment. To discourage unauthorized use, this airport should not be charted. 4. Owner will provide thorough briefing about operational requirements and vegetation height at runway ends prior to anyone desiring to use this airport.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Well that sucks. Kind of sounds like mine or Captnkirk's place. I have 1500 ft with a gap in the trees on one end and power lines above the runway at the other. I'll let Kirk tell you about his. Every office is different. At least it will be registered. Am sure you will give us the "appropriate briefing" when we come calling.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Pilot you have more runway then either Gary or I. Counting the gap at one end of my place I have maybe 2000 ft and only about 1500 usable Plus both of us have some "vegetation " at one or both ends and maybe a power line to think about. Then there is the slope, has to be some wind to make me land downhill. I think I would tell who ever wrote that, your friends want it on the map cuz they think it's a hazard because all those spam cans can use it. Heck you may even need a control zone and a tower. Seriously tell them you want it charted so other aircraft will look for your airplane, trying to be proactive with see and avoid stuff. Good Luck
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

What number FAA form is used to start the process of getting a strip on the charts? And any other info would be appreciated. Thanks

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Just a couple that come to mind. Look at 80C on airnav and look at the comments about no student pilots etc.

Also look at AK24 there and the comment about 50 ft trees on approach to 1400 ft strip.

Some fed over your way has his scared briitches on. Do I need to get him on the speakerphone.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Yeah, it seems like with those criteria, half the charted airports in Alaska would have to be pulled off the charts.

One of my favorites, in terms of craziest charted airports, is Z86, Clearwater, Alaska. It's been pulled off the chart now, but that's only happened in the last few cycles. Up until then, it was on there as long as I can remember. The entry in the Alaska Supplement (Alaska's version of the AFD) for that airport read:

Runway: 25/07: 350' x 20'

Surface: Gravel/dirt, poor condition, soft and irregular; rocks to 6" on runway, scattered brush and trees to five feet throughout runway.

Remarks:
Scattered brush and trees to eight feet from edge to 35' from centerline each side of runway full length.

Runway surface totally overgrown with trees up to 15' tall.

Scattered trees to 30', 40' from centerline each side of runway.

Scattered trees to 40' approach path runway 25.

Scattered trees to 20' approach path to runway 07.

Brush and trees to five foot across width of runway at a point 350' from runway 07 threshold.

Campfire rings at runway ends.

Runway used as road.

Barrel; rock pile and debris at center of runway 50' from runway 25 threshold.

Runway high in middle, slopes down both directions.

If that one made it on the charts and stayed there for years, it seems like yours should be acceptable ;).

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Farmmaule the 2 faa forms I had to send in where 7480 Notice of Landing Area and 5010 Airport Master Record there was one more but that was a NC state form which would not apply to you. Again check with your state DOT they may have some to help.
Kirk Johnson

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Runway description

Post by chazdevil »

Runway: 25/07: 350' x 20'

Surface: Gravel/dirt, poor condition, soft and irregular; rocks to 6" on runway, scattered brush and trees to five feet throughout runway.

Remarks:
Scattered brush and trees to eight feet from edge to 35' from centerline each side of runway full length.

Runway surface totally overgrown with trees up to 15' tall.

Scattered trees to 30', 40' from centerline each side of runway.

Scattered trees to 40' approach path runway 25.

Scattered trees to 20' approach path to runway 07.

Brush and trees to five foot across width of runway at a point 350' from runway 07 threshold.

Campfire rings at runway ends.

Runway used as road.

Barrel; rock pile and debris at center of runway 50' from runway 25 threshold.
Seriously.
That's my favorite description yet.
79 M5 235Turbo

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Pilot, Andy made a video going into my place if you look close you can see the trees on both ends. I have cut out some clearway but it is still full of stumps and unusable. Andy landed to the north which is up hill and when he left he took off south down hill. Notice he only used a bit over half of the runway and less on take off. Again the grass is only 1500 ft. so plenty of room for the right kind of aircraft. So tell your fed that normal operations can be safely conducted on your place.
Kirk Johnson

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

here is another link to Andy's video
https://youtu.be/RIeTE4xxChI
Kirk Johnson

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Nice place. Nice strip. Looks like an ideal place to have a nice Fly-In.
A little STOL competition as well. Thanks for sharing.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I had a friend come by Saturday in a 90hp Super cub, he was a bit nervous about the tall (90') trees at the ends. He made it out ok though. I have no comparison to what a loaded down 220 - 235hp Maule would be like, but surely it will outclimb a 90hp cub?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Ray swing by on the way to sun n fun always room. I plan on going again this year.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Pilot, I keep trimming a few trees along, most of which I have to negotiate with neighbors for. Not finished (still negotiating). Any chance you could chop a few? You'll see what you can do and work with it. It's probably no issue 99% of the time but if you can make it safer.....

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

I'll see you at Sun-N-Fun Kirk. Most likely will be coming down commercial.
Thanks for the invite though.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U