Trip to alaska

NEW Section:
Post and find topics related to Airports, airparks and flying destinations to the section...
Tommy

Trip to alaska

Post by Tommy »

Planning a trip to Alaska this June . Leaving Georgia in my Maule ,looking for any information that someone may have already made trip before.
Any information will be appropriated.
God,country,duty ,God bless those who believe in all three!

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

I suggest you figure a month to get there in order to get the full benefit of the trip. So far, I have avoided long trips without somebody else in the plane.

I haven't done Georgia to Alaska; but I have done Georgia to San Francisco Bay area, and San Francisco Bay to Tuktoyaktuk.

Using Yelp and tripadvisor on my Iphone have been great aids when trying to figure out what the night's destination should be in the states - make sure you switch service over the borders. I had a laptop to give me a big picture of weather.

Above the lower 48, I always carried enough fuel that I could get back to where I launched from without being too nervous.

To me, scattered thunderstorms in the mountains are much more threatening than over the plains or wide valleys.

I rented an Iridium satellite phone from Mobil.com. It cost me $13 a day to have.

At a minimum, you should have a PLB and I would recommend a 406 ELT and a SPOT or Delorme.

Although I only used it that one trip, I signed up for CANPASS: it opens up your Canada border crossing opportunities.

I entered at Boundary Bay and came back through Bellingham; both experiences where pleasant.

You should look through previous threads here and also the threads on backcountrypilot.org

You can't take too many pictures.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I second the Delorme I have the Inreach I carry it with me in the plane almost all the time. Besides the sos function I can send text messages to anyone with a cell phone you just have to load the info ahead of time into the website. Lockheed Martin can send sigmet and airmet updates as well as any tfr that popup on your route of flight so long as you file and activate a flight plan They offer a few different price plans now so call and set up what works for you. While it's not a sat phone the messaging can keep people informed of your where about. Also there is an app so you can use an Ipad to compose the messages. Any time I'm more than a few miles away I carry mine it gives the wife piece of mind knowing she's on the alert list.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Tommy, I'm also planning a trip to Alaska but planning on leaving mid July, if it works out maybe we can get together?

Dan

Tommy

Trip

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for the information, planning on leaving in June right now I have 2 others with me. Any more infor on route would be helpful. Thanks again.
God,country,duty ,God bless those who believe in all three!

MrHRC

Trip to alaska

Post by MrHRC »

I live in Langley B.C. Vancouver area. If you need a local contact let me know. I could provide local airport info, accommodation, transportation, and or lunch/ dinner. Would be great to meet you on your adventure.

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

In terms of route, following the Alaskan highway makes the most sense to me.

I hope the total weight of the 3 people isn't very much and the size of one of them is small for 2 reasons: I'd want to be able to launch with fuel to cover 500nm and the back seat is fine as long as the person doesn't require much leg room or can sit sideways using the whole seat which then limits what you bring along.

I would let weather forecasts drive whether you want to go up to Great Falls, Montana, or head west first and go up the west coast.

I enjoyed the planning of different routes, and of what I should bring.

What I wish I had spent more time thinking about was quick retrieval and stowing of what we were using at the motel each night.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Hey forum mods, can we move this thread to 'pilots lounge' or 'airports and flying destinations' ?
That way it's easier to find, read and reply.
Thanks
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

There's basically 3 ways thru Canada to Ak... The Alaska Highway, which you'd probably find to be shortest route to pick up in Great Fall, Montana... Then there's the "Trench" which follows rail tracks, but pretty remote, not a lot of places to land in emergency, and is used mostly when real good wx is available. Then there's the west coast route, very remote, almost no place to land in emergency other then rocks, and wx can turn quickly on you... All in all, I feel most comfortable doing the highway as you can always land on road, plenty of fuel stops, plenty places to stay if waiting on wx, and it's a beautiful flight anyway you come. Be advised, wx forcasts are pretty unreliable both western Canada as well as Alaska, and at times only option is to go take a peek... IFR not real good option as there is ice in them clouds, even in summertime, unless it's just low clouds with VFR on top, which again, can change rapidly. In June you will have almost 24hrs of daylight per day as you get north, so you have long days available if wx is crappy... If you don't like what you see for wx, wait an hour and it'll probably change, but June is good month as normally no fires yet that are big, so viz is good with no smoke. And if there are fires, suggest if not real familiar with lay of land, try to avoid areas completely as possible. Though the smoke can carry for miles and miles!! I think you'll find it to be a challenging, and exciting flight, and you'll enjoy it thoroughly!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

If you do the Highway route plan to stop at Cut Bank MT (CTB). Lower fuel prices than Great Falls and 24/7 customs on the way back. Camping on the field and airport courtesy car available. Spend a day or two and tour Glacier National Park.

formerpacerdriver

Laird HS?

Post by formerpacerdriver »

Has anyone stopped at Laird Hot Springs? Is there an airport near there? Laird is a "Must Stop" when driving the highway.
Dano
'82 M-6 235

TomD
100+ Posts

Trip

Post by TomD »

Hi guys.

This really should be in "Airports, Airparks and Flying Destinations"

Christine
Site Admin

Re: Trip

Post by Christine »

TomD wrote:Hi guys.

This really should be in "Airports, Airparks and Flying Destinations"
Thx Tom, I moved this too :)
Guys & gals, pls check the topic for relevance before you are going to post something. Thx
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The guy that runs lodge there have a Beaver on floats. There is probably a strip there nearby, but I've never looked. Would make a good overnight stop after a good hot soaking!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is a strip at Liard but it is a few miles north on left side of road.
I used it once but too far from springs.
I used to land on the road just south of hot springs entry and park at the lodge and have also landed in gas pump forecourt, BUT, that was many years ago and probably not acceptable nowadays.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide